Editorial: Students need study hall

Rushing to and from after school activities doesn’t leave students enough time for homework and studying.  Study hall would give students more time for extracurriculars and give them help with homework.  

CBL is a class that basically justs fills a period.  Yes, teachers can use this class to go over lesson plans or review information, but what is the actual purpose of CBL?  Students feel as if it’s a waste of a class period. More beneficial classes can fill this gap in the day.

Study hall has more value. Multiple teachers even agree.  Opportunities for catching up on homework, making up tests, studying and getting help from teachers are available with study hall. During CBL, teachers have classes they must teach.  This means that it give those students who need help less time with the teacher.

Instead of needing to come in early or staying after school, students can make up tests while in study hall.  Teachers wouldn’t need to take time out of their schedules to figure out when students must come in.  

Although students might not take this time seriously, teachers can always just assign work when students enter study hall.   

Where will this be held?  Who will supervise?  When will study hall occur?  Well, study hall can always be in the library or the CBL classrooms.  If it were to be held in the library, students without work can read a book instead.  Teachers or librarians can watch over the classes.  Instead of CBL periods, study hall can take place during second and or sixth period.  

The ninth graders do not have CBL, so what about them?  Students that either are struggling with their studies or have all honor classes should be allowed to choose study hall as an elective.  Study hall would present the ninth graders with a great opportunity to catch up on their homework if they participate in after school activities such as clubs or sports.

The library a great place to hold study hall because how quiet and large it is for students. Unlike the gym or auditorium, the library is always free to use for students and holds resources students can use at any time. Photo by: Kathy Wible
The library a great place to hold study hall because how quiet and large it is for students. Unlike the gym or auditorium, the library is always free to use for students and holds resources students can use at any time.
Photo by:Kathy Wible