Gymnasts tumble their way to victory

Paige Glasgow

“Gymnastics has made me strong. I feel like it broke me down to my lowest point, but at the same time, it has given me the greatest strength anyone could ask for,” 2008 Olympic gold medalist Shawn Johnson said.

The Altoona Area High School held their first home gymnastics meet of the season on Thursday Jan.5. Gymnastics, a winter sport, is open to anyone in grades nine through 12. The meet took place at the high school fieldhouse in the gym. Altoona has five freshman competitors- Camryn Hoff, Grace Osmolinski, Amari White, Alexis Whysong and Sidnie Yoder. The team currently has a record of 3-0 with their 2017 season just beginning.

Stick it! Freshman Alexis Whysong lands her vault with the judges keeping a close eye. Vault was the first event Altoona competed in at the meet on Jan.5. Photo by Paige Glasgow.
Ninth grader Lexi Whysong performs a giant on the uneven bars. Whysong was the only freshman competitor from Altoona to execute her bar routine at the meet. Photo by Paige Glasgow.
Keep focus. Ninth grader Sidnie Yoder performs a wolf jump on the balance beam. The beam is only 4 inches wide, which makes hard skills even more difficult. Photo by Paige Glasgow.
Cue music! Freshman Grace Osmolinksi gets ready for her music to start for her floor routine. Altoona went on floor last with two freshman competing. Photo by Paige Glasgow.
Patience is a virtue. Gymnasts from the Altoona Area High School gymnastics team wait for the award ceremony at the end of the meet. Altoona freshman competed on all four events- vault, uneven bars, balance beam and floor exercise. Photo by Paige Glasgow.