Lion News: TSA competes in Annual Pennsylvania TSA Conference

The 2016-2017 AAJHS chpater at the 39th Annual TSA Competition and Conference.

Timothy Dzurko

Lydia Newman

On April 19, 2017, four TSA members traveled to Seven Springs Resort to compete in the 39th Annual TSA Conference and Competition, and they returned home on Saturday.

TSA stands for Technology Student Association. TSA is an international organization that is dedicated solely to students that take interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). The TSA holds annual competitions all across the world in order for students to show their STEM skills and gain recognition.

Forty nine middle school chapters (teams) attended the Pennsylvania TSA Conference and Competition having a total of 702 students compete in the same events. The high school division consisted of 91 chapters and 1167 students. Along with that, there were over 400 advisers.  

“It was really crowded. There were a lot of schools it was really busy the whole time,” seventh grader and TSA member Jake Hicks said.

The AAJHS chapter placed in five events. Jake Hicks placed sixth in Microcontroller Design. The team of Becca Holiday and Kaylee Smith placed sixth in the Technical Design Challenge, and  the team of Jake Hicks and Sarah Graham placed ninth. Sarah Graham also placed third in Essays on Technology. Finally, the team of Becca Holiday and  Kaylee Smith placed tenth in Forensic Technology.

The team claims to be satisfied with their performances at the competition.

“I got third in state for my essay so I  thought I did a good job,” eighth grader and TSA member Sarah Graham said.