Parents get involved with school’s discussion

Unfortunately, we did not take photographs at the actual meeting. In this clip art, there are three “parents” standing together to represent our parents involved in our school!  

clip art credits: ryanlerch on creative common images
Unfortunately, we did not take photographs at the actual meeting. In this clip art, there are three “parents” standing together to represent our parents involved in our school! clip art credits: ryanlerch on creative common images
 Unfortunately, we did not take photographs at the actual meeting. In this clip art, there are three “parents” standing together to represent our parents involved in our school!   clip art credits: ryanlerch on creative common images

Unfortunately, we did not take photographs at the actual meeting. In this clip art, there are three “parents” standing together to represent the parents involved in the school!

The school is organizing a new parent advisory committee for the upcoming academic year. Parents and teachers will be discussing changes to the 2015 PSSA test and much more. Adults will get involved extensively in school matters.

There are many changes to the 2014-2015 school year such as ProgressBook and state testing.

“It’s just another way to try and reach out to parents and get information to them about the changes that are occurring whether it be in education at a state level, at a local level or specifically within our school,” Principal Lori H. Mangan said.

If a parent is on the school’s  email listserv, they would  have received notice about the committee.

“Any parent can join, it’s just a matter of them coming and participating to hear some information that we’ve provided for them,” Mangan said.

In the meeting on Oct. 22 the committee discussed the ProgressBook changes and how they expect the students in the school to grow  academically this school year.

They only had three parents show up to the most recent meeting and are hoping more people get involved.

They are planning on holding two meetings a year. This is a new committee for Altoona Junior High.

If there is another meeting in the spring, parents will be notified through email again.

Elementary schools are also having their own parent committees.

”It’s a new initiative for us this year, and it used to be a district wide committee and we usually had two meetings per year. One in the fall, one in the spring. This is the first year we’re having a building committee; we will be looking to have another meeting in the spring,” Mangan said

“Students most likely don’t know about the committee, unless their parent(s) are involved,” Mangan said. “Our goal is to have parental involvement, and have that communication with them.”