Announcements for Friday, Oct. 31.

(10/24-11/2) Attention Students:  The library is hosting its monthly Lego Club meeting on Wednesday, November 2nd from 2:45-3:30.  Please take note of the time change and be sure to have your ride home here by 3:30.  Again, Lego Club will meet until 3:30 from now on.  If you are interested in joining this month, please sign up in the library before Nov. 2.  You must sign up monthly to participate.  Any questions, please see Mrs. McCaulley in the library.

(10/24-11/3) Students, this week the Sharing for the Holidays committee will begin their annual Veterans Day collection competition. All monies raised will go to our retired veterans living at the Hollidaysburg VA Home. Bring in spare change to your first period homeroom from Monday, October 24th through Friday, November 4th. The three highest-collecting homerooms for each grade level will receive a movie reward in the auditorium. The highest-raising homeroom from each grade level will receive the extra prize of a Dunkin’ Donuts breakfast! 

(10/26 – 10/28) There will be Non-Mandatory Open Mats for all athletes planning on wrestling this season beginning on Monday October 31st right after school in the Mat Room.  Will end approximately 4:30 pm.  Open Mats will be every Monday and Wednesday leading up to the season.

(10/28) Help desk is closed this morning and will open up at 11:30 am today until 2:30 pm

(10/28) Altoona’s 8th grade football team suffered their first loss of the season to Clearfield 12-6.  The team will travel to DuBois next week for their final game of the season.

(10/28) The new schoolmaster’s name was Ichabod Crane.  He was tall, but exceedingly lank. With narrow shoulders. Hands that dangled a mile out of his sleeves and feet that might have served as shovels. His head was small and flat on the top… With huge ears… Large, green, glassy eyes. And a long snipe nose that looked like a weathervane perched upon his spindle neck, to tell which way the wind blew. To see him striding along the profile of a hill on a windy day…With his clothes bagging and fluttering about him…You might have mistook him for a scarecrow who escaped from the cornfield. It was one drowsy autumn afternoon when Ichabod Crane blew into town. The Altoona Area Junior High School Drama Club is proud to present the spooky classic – The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.  Written by Washington Irving and adapted by Kathryn Shultz Miller, Sleepy Hollow is loaded with all the thrills, chills and laughs to keep you on the edge of your seats. Performances are scheduled for 7 p.m. on both Thursday, November 3, 2022 and Friday, November 4, 2022 with a matinee show at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, November 5, 2022.  All performances will take place in the Altoona Area Junior High School Auditorium. General admission tickets will only be on sale at the door and will cost $8 for adults and $5 for students. Doors open approximately 1/2 hour before each show. Come and watch Ichabod Crane as he explores the spooky village of Sleepy Hollow. What will he find in town? There’s only one way to find out!! Make plans today to attend a show!  We hope to see you there!

(10/28) Any 7th or 8th grade wrestler that has not received their physical,  can pick up a physical packet or re-cert in the main office this week and attend the physicals being held at the high school this Thursday, November 3rd after school.

(10/28)  Attention students:  Before Mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain on Earth?    If you like puzzles and riddles and the 24 game, come to our Mathcounts meeting Wednesday after school from 2:45 until 3:30.  Please see Mrs. Abbott in C275 for details or email.  (Answer:  Mount Everest – it was still the highest even if we didn’t know about it yet! )

(10/28) It’s the last day of Red Ribbon Week and we want to thank you for your participation in supporting healthy, drug free lifestyles.  We hope you’ve really thought about the meaning of this year’s theme: Celebrate Life. Live Drug Free – and how making healthy choices will help you achieve your goals in life while having fun in the process.  We only want the best for you and can’t wait to see what you can achieve! So AAJHS students continue to Celebrate Life Drug Free!

(10/28) Attention students: the next Friends of Rachel Club meeting is Wednesday November 2nd immediately after school until 3:30 in room 338. We hope to see you there!