FLY AWAY TO NEVERLAND!

Photo courtesy of commons.wikimedia.org

Emotions run high as students prepare for Disney’s Peter Pan: the musical.  The play will premiere in March of 2014.

About 120 students tried out, 90 girls and 30 boys. Peter Pan, Wendy, Michael and John are the main characters.

“I am auditioning for Wendy because I think it’d be cool to fly, and she is the leading lady so,” Rachel Borst said.

Some students had their heart set on one character, but others had a wider range of choices.

“It’s two people, uh my two people would have to be Captain Hook. Captain Hook because I really want to wear a beard; it seems fun. And probably Wendy, John or one of the three kids, because I really, really want to fly,” Alicia Carper said.

Drama adviser Jonathan Klingeman is bringing in ZFX effects, a flying crew from Nevada, to help. The main/leading characters such as Wendy, Peter Pan, Michael, John and Mr. Darling will be flying on stage.

“I think it’s pretty cool because it’s going to enhance how the play looks and feels to the audience,” Brady McCarthy said.

“I think it’s a really good opportunity to show what we can do and what we’re capable of,” Borst said.

Acting experience ranges anywhere from four or more plays, to never setting foot on stage. Stage presence and stage fright usually go hand-in-hand. Sometimes, those who are meek off-stage, have great stage presence and vice versa.

“Sometimes and I think the only way to get over stage fright, in my personal  opinion, is to have fun. Some people get stage fright very easily.  I would try and laugh while you audition for it, like before you go on, get all your giggles out. Yeah, just have fun with it and stuff. Mr. Klingeman is a nice person, if you laugh on stage, he’ll understand what you’re doing,” Carper said.

The call back list was posted Thursday, Dec. 12, 2013. The cast list was posted Friday, Dec. 13, 2013.

The lead roles:

Peter Pan: Trent Miller

Tinkerbell: Isabel Mika

Wendy: Gabbie Petrarca

John: Hunter Wiedlich

Michael: Ethan Katcher

Captain Hook: Michael Bruce

The other parts are spread out among fairies, ensembles, pirates and mermaids. The informational meeting is Thursday, Dec. 19, 2013.  Don’t miss it!