Youth group attracts many students

Paige Parris, ninth grade, greets fellow ninth grader Malia Schimminger as she comes to Young Life for the very first time! The girls are with other Altoona Junior High and Highschool  students as they await to get the party started. Photo by Daysia Cuff
Paige Parris, ninth grade, greets fellow ninth grader Malia Schimminger as she comes to Young Life for the very first time! The girls are with other Altoona Junior High and high school students as they await to get the party started. Photo by Daysia Cuff

YoungLife, WyldLife and Campaigners are Christian groups that meet every week. On Wednesday nights, they have YoungLife, which is basically a party. The location of YoungLife changes every week.

On Sunday nights, there is “Campaigners”, which is apart of Young Life. Campaigners is a more religious group held at Nick Dorsey’s house. It’s every Sunday from 8:30-10 pm. Also, both groups are for grades 9-12. There is also a Campaigners for younger students.

Ninth grader Paige Parris attends YoungLife and Campaigners. This is Parris’s first year at YL. Most people that attend YL say it’s an accepting place.

“What I enjoy most is how accepting the people are to new people,” Parris said.

Again, YL is on Wednesdays and the location varies. The Wednesday night gatherings are called “Club”.

For younger students, there’s WyldLife. Different activities take place at WyldLife. Even for less religious students, these youth groups are still welcoming. They recently went to Slinky’s Action Zone, according to Jasmine VonColln, eighth grader.

Religion is still incorporated into WyldLife.

“We actually talk about God, and get the Bibles,” VonColln said.

“Everyone gets along and we’re all friends. So, it’s a pretty happy environment,” VonColln said.

Parris described the youth group as fun.

There are different camps that can be attended in the Summer. These camps are apart of the youth groups. Accor

ding to Parris, everyone is welcomed, no matter what.