School walking policy needs changed

Walking is good for the human body, but not if you’re walking in very cold, harsh weather or even humid, hot weather. The problem is many students have to walk in these weather conditions to get to and from school.  The rule is if you live less than a mile away from school then you have to walk or get a ride to school because buses will not travel to close houses.

Walking in the cold could cause a very bad cold or even the flu.  Walking in hot weather could cause dehydration. Also, walking alone isn’t always safe.  Many student’s parents go to work as early as six in the morning.  Therefore, they can’t take them so they are forced to walk or not go at all.  Walking to school in the winter is never good because of how cold it is and students could get very sick walking in this.  Just because it turned spring doesn’t mean the problems fixed either.  It gets hot sometimes and the students could get heat stroke while walking.  It also isn’t a safe thing to walk to and from school either.

If the student walks alone because none of their friends live by them then that person could be kidnapped or taken

This picture shows four students walking and many of the students of our school do this outside everyday to get to school.

by a stranger. Besides strangers there are injuries too.  A person could fall and get seriously hurt and wouldn’t be able to be helped until someone saw them because many students do not have cell phones. These problems could be fixed by allowing the buses to travel to closer distances from the school or even just changing the route of some of the buses.

The school could start a program where a group of kids living in the same neighborhood could meet in a certain place before and after school.  When the group of students meet up then they could walk together to and from school.  The school could also considering getting more buses and start fundraising to afford the extra buses.  Hopefully the school starts looking into this and helping those students who walk.