Student council arranges Harvest Day

October 21, 2016

Seventh grade teacher Rocco Depiro gets a face full of whipped cream at Harvest Day.    Students could pay money to throw a paper plate of whipped cream at their teachers faces from a short distance.

Pb: Paige Glasgow

Seventh grade teacher Rocco Depiro gets a face full of whipped cream at Harvest Day. Students could pay money to throw a paper plate of whipped cream at their teachers’ faces from a short distance.

The leaves begin to change, the weather gets colder and Halloween is growing near. This can only mean one thing- Harvest Day is finally here!  

Many students go outside during the day to get a break from schoolwork and have fun.  But many junior high students don’t know what goes on behind the scenes.

Student council and the staff play a large role in what goes on during Harvest Day, a bigger role than most may think. This year, the event took place on Thursday, Oct. 6 and lasted roughly from third to the end of seventh period.  

There were some challenges for the staff and student council members.

“Kids would put in last minute orders which was a challenge,” eighth grade teacher and student council adviser Beth Bronson said.  “I also had kids stating they sold magazines without any proof, so we couldn’t let them go outside.”

While most students were inside during the morning doing work, student council was already outside putting everything in position for the event.

“It took first and most of second period to get everything set up,” ninth grade student council member Stevie Webber said.

The staff and student council members didn’t just set everything up and take it all down.  Much more was included in the responsibility of being in charge.

“Student council helped out a lot during the day,” ninth grade student council member Jayla Reilly said. “We went around asking teachers if they needed help with anything and cleaned up trash as we saw it throughout the event.”

New activities were added in this year and taken out as well.

“This year we had an obstacle course which was huge,” Bronson said.  “We took out some activities the students didn’t go to as much last year so we could add new things this year. I think the students enjoyed it since the weather was nice and there were more activities.”

Once all the students were back inside for eighth period, the staff and student council members were hard at work again.  Student council was responsible for cleaning up trash and putting everything back at the end of the day.

“It only took us around 45 minutes to clean everything up; it was actually really fast,” Reilly said.

Plans for Harvest Day next year remain undecided due to a number of reasons.

“I haven’t thought about it too much yet,” Bronson said.  “We have to wait and see about the possible construction of a new building on the IM Field, so we will have to accommodate accordingly. We will definitely have new games next year that I hope everyone will enjoy,”

Both Webber and Reilly agreed the school should have more days like Harvest Day throughout the year.  It’s a chance for all three grade levels to enjoy the weather before winter hits and have fun with friends all day.

“It’s an all day event where kids can have fun and you can do whatever you want,” Webber said.  “We definitely need more days like Harvest Day!”

Livewire • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• G

Gavin LambornDec 20, 2016 at 1:08 pm

I hope I can pie many staff members next year and sell things for the fundraisers

• C

Chawntelle and DynastyDec 20, 2016 at 1:00 pm

It was a very fun day.

• C

charles kettermanDec 16, 2016 at 2:14 pm

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• C

Casey WilliamsDec 9, 2016 at 6:57 am

I loved harvest fest….I just think there should be more 1 player things or add in real carnival booth like ballon pop or knock over the clown head. That would be much better. Also, the prizes should be more than 1 tiny peice of candy.

4