Thoughtful+and+caring.+These+are+some+of+the+words+that+describe+Hampton.+She+always+cared+about+the+students+themselves+and+helped+them+learn.+

Photo courtesy of Valerie Hampton

Thoughtful and caring. These are some of the words that describe Hampton. She always cared about the students themselves and helped them learn.

Valerie Hampton

Another thoughtful and kind teacher, Valerie Hampton, is retiring after 35 years of teaching. She is a sixth grade science teacher, but has taught many different grades.

In her 35 years of teaching, she has taught six different grades.

“I’ve taught first grade, second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth. So I taught them all,” said Hampton.

Teachers make many friendships and have very large effects on the students. This is Hampton’s favorite part of her job.

“My favorite part is all the friendships I’ve made and all the students’ lives I’ve touched throughout the years. Just being a part of something so wonderful that helps change the world,” said Hampton.

She expected to just have to be a teacher when she started, but that quickly changed after having the job.

Hampton said, “I didn’t expect to be a teacher who had to wear many hats like counselor and nurse. You’re not just a teacher.”

New teachers need to be calm and have patience.

“Think about where students are coming from, their lives from home and their environment. Every day is new, so give everybody a chance,” said Hampton.

When she retires, she hopes to be able to try new things that she wasn’t able to do while she was a teacher.

Hampton said, “I want to spend time with my family, travel and explore new activities to do.”

Even though she is looking forward to trying new things in retirement, she is going to miss her job.

“It’s just something that I’ve done for so long and have been part of. I will 100 percent miss everything about this job including the students, the faculty and the friends I’ve made,” said Hampton.

Livewire • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in