Yolo: things to do before you die

A random man enjoying the thrill of water skiing Photo credit: flickr.com Photo by: ND Strupler

A random man enjoying the thrill of water skiing
Photo credit: flickr.com
Photo by: ND Strupler

Florida is considered the water skiing capital of the country. I have been to Florida many times but I have never water skied yet. I have knee boarded before at Wet n’ Wild, but, I want to go up and beyond that. So, my next mission is to ski at Ski Rixen. This place is America’s first cable water ski resort. I wasn’t sure what that meant so I researched it and found out that your rope and handle are pulled by electrically driven cables, unlike the old fashioned way where you are pulled by motor boat.

Cable water ski is popular in Europe and is slowly become popular in the United States. Why is cable water skiing better than normal skiing? Well for one, it is energy-efficient. It’s not as loud because you don’t have the noise coming from the motorboat. But most importantly, the cable is generally suspended 26–30 feet above the water. This makes for a different feel than when riding behind a boat, whether wakeboarding or waterskiing.

When water sking your speed can can  reach up 38 mph. Slalom skiers can reach much higher speeds. The most common speed  for a water skier is 19 mph, which suits wakeboarders also.

I am really fascinated by water skiing, I hope to make it one of my hobbies someday. My friend Lexi had gone water skiing before with her family and I am completely jealous and mad that she didn’t invite me.

“It takes awhile to get the hang of standing up, but once you get it down you will become addicted to the feeling of water skiing,” my friend said.

http://www.skirixenusa.com/ is where I got most of the imformation at if you want to know more about water skiing.