Healthy Recipes for Students on the Go!

Valentine’s Day is this weekend. Everyone is so excited to be with their honey or that special someone. But, maybe they’re me, just chilling on the couch eating away my sorrows! But, Valentine’s Day is also about eating chocolate treats and desserts! Is there a healthier option? Yes! So, get up from the couch and start making something yummy! These Valentine treats are so easy to make. All three of these treats are delicious and a crowd pleaser at parties. Everyone and their sweetheart will be sure to enjoy these snacks! No guilt in eating something this good!

To begin, a chocolate fondue with the size to fit two servings. Prep time is about 10 minutes.

Ingredients:

•3 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, chopped

•2 tablespoons heavy cream

•1 tablespoon of brewed espresso

•Pinch of salt

•Fruit of your choice (Strawberry, Banana, Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Melon, Apple)

Directions: Place the chocolate, cream, espresso, and salt to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave the mixture at a medium setting. Take the mixture out every twenty seconds and stir until melted. Pour the chocolate mixture in a serving bowl. Cut the variety of fruit into heart shapes. Enjoy!

To add, make tasty sandwiches with a heart shape cookie cutter.

Ingredients:

•2 slices of Whole Grain Bread

•Low fat cream cheese

•3 strawberries

Directions: Use a heart shape cookie cutter and design the bread into hearts. Spread a light spread on low fat cream cheese on both sides of the bread. Cut the leaves of the strawberries and cut in half. Place the strawberries on one side of the bread. Place the other bread slice on top. Enjoy!

To end, taste into my favorite of all three! Take a bite into a Mini Raspberry Mousse Parfait!

Ingredients:

•1 and ¾ cups of raspberries, thawed

•3 tablespoons of sugar

•2 teaspoons of cornstarch

•2 teaspoons of orange juice

•1 and ⅓ cups of light whipped cream

•12 cubes (½ cubes) of angel food cake

Directions: Press the raspberries into a strainer to remove the seeds and pulp. Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a small sauce pan. Then, stir your raspberry juice in the same sauce pan. Bring the combined mixture on top on the stove and boil for 2 minutes. Then, let the mixture chill in the refrigerator. After that, divide the raspberry mixture in half. Stir orange juice into one portion and set it aside. Place the remaining raspberry mixture in a bowl, fold in whipped cream. Divide the angel food cake in 4 cocktail glasses. Layer each cake with raspberry orange juice mixture. Finally, refrigerate until it is time to serve. Enjoy!

Check in next week for more delicious recipes with a healthy twist!