• May 8Badminton Tournament, Basketball Tournament and Dodge Ball Games May 14 from 3-5 in A and B Gyms.

• May 8In need of dresses, ties, shirts/pants or shoes - check out the Social closet in room 210.

• May 89th graders: Social tickets will be sold for $10.00 the week of the dance.

• May 8AAHS Mountain Lion Mascot Tryouts Wednesday, May 15 at 3:00 pm in Room B8.

• May 8AAHS Cheerleading tryouts will be held in the AAHS Auxiliary Gym on May 6 and 8-10

• May 8Summer school applications are available in the guidance office until May 14

• March 13The Daffodil DELIVERY DATE has been moved to WEDNESDAY, APRIL 3.

Junior varsity football players share experiences

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ryan Hopkins running with the ball at his football game on October 10th, 2017. Hopkins ran with the ball, but got tackled soon after by a member of the opposite team.

Chastity Brunner

Chastity Brunner

Chastity Brunner

Chastity Brunner, Reporter

As the seventh and eighth grade football season comes to a close in October 2017, Damon Luciano, Ryan Hopkins and Conner Reimer gave some insight on their season and future plans.

Altoona native Julian Howsare brought attention and excitement to the area when he was drafted into the New York Jets. Junior varsity athletes and coaches have a passion for football. Family traditions and passion keep the players and coaches on the field.

“I like being around the kids seeing them work hard and come together. We end practice saying ‘family.’ We’re together as one team. Our team is pretty good at it,” eighth grade football coach Damon Luciano said. “If our team loses I accept the loss. My job is to prepare us to win. If they don’t they play the game right, I put the burden on myself,” Luciano said.

Conner Reimer gets ready to practice hitting at football practice on Oct. 16, 2017. Reimer hit the tackling mat, then went to the back of the line. Photo by Chastity Brunner

Luciano played sports growing up and football is always something he’s liked to do and participate in. 

“My first day…..wow high school. I was probably 22. I was not nervous; I was excited to be helping out. I was just a volunteer back then, it was fun, not too many responsibilities,” Luciano said.

Luciano has been coaching for around 27 years. Although it has it’s up’s and downs, Luciano has made it a point to try to get all of the players into at least one game.

“Basically we evaluate how they practice. With the help of different lifting practices over summer. Practices, attitude and effort give play time,” Luciano said.

Football has been a part of Luciano’s life for a very long while. Luciano has always found a way to work around practices and games, and still have time to spend with his family.

“It was tough when my kids were young, I would take them all to lifting in the summer. I usually meet Sundays with my staff for the upcoming week. I’m always doing something, it’s just part of the way it is. My family grew up with it we’ve always done the best we could,” Luciano said.

Football has been in some families for generations.

“My grandfather was a big inspiration to me; he was kind of deal in Altoona, and he was a football coach,” eighth grade student Conner Reimer said. “I plan to if stay in football if I can, I want to get drafted to college or get a scholarship.”

Reimer and several other students on the eighth grade football team want to stay in football if they can and their family members have made an impact on their life.

“My biggest inspiration is probably my dad. He would always tell me about football stories when he was younger,” seventh grade student Ryan Hopkins said. “I’m not really trying to think of my future. I’m focusing on right now.”

Hopkins as well as Reimer have been playing football since fourth grade. 

“I play defensive end and offensive tackle, and I get a lot of play time,” Reimer said. “I try to push myself to be the best I can be.”

“My main position is wide receiver. I get to play pretty much the whole game,” Hopkins said. “I don’t really know what to do in order to not lose our next game. Just if somebody does something wrong I help them fix it or make them feel better.”

Eighth grade players look forward to joining the varsity team next year while seventh graders will step up to take the places of team leaders.

About the Contributor
Chastity Brunner, Reporter

Chastity Brunner is a student at Altoona Area Junior High School. Along with being in her school's newspaper site, she is a captain for the AAJHS cheer...

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Junior varsity football players share experiences”

1. Jamen on October 27th, 2017 3:43 pm

You are a good writer

2. Emily on October 27th, 2017 3:48 pm

dang chas !! this is sooo good

3. Carter Brunner on October 27th, 2017 3:51 pm

I like your photo!!

4. Karenna Kauffman on October 29th, 2017 12:17 pm

!Wow! This is truly a work of art!
    P.S. Happy Birthday!

5. Cassandra Shields on October 30th, 2017 11:52 am

Great Pictures, Nice work!

6. Michael Patterson on October 30th, 2017 11:53 am

I know this person who took these pictures and did this entire page.

7. Devin Heaton on March 1st, 2018 1:31 pm

When we combined it went very well for the team. It took a little to adjust to but we got the hang of things. We lost the first game we played together but then won the the last game of the seasons.

8. kamron on March 7th, 2018 1:41 pm

Now that it is the end of this football season I cant wait. I think with our teams combining and the new league we just get a brand new start. We have amazing players and coaches, so the biggest issue we will come upon is each other, we need to work as one team instead of just individual players.

9. Aaron Chaplin on March 9th, 2018 1:40 pm

Go Connor!

10. Joseph Ball on March 9th, 2018 1:50 pm

lets go Conner

11. chandler brendel on April 13th, 2018 2:11 pm

Nice football pics

• Junior varsity football players share experiences

Eighth Grade Sports

New baseball teams wrap up season

Eighth Grade Sports

Seventh, eighth grade track and field kicks off

Eighth Grade Sports

Athletic department adds baseball for spring

Eighth Grade Sports

Basketball teams midway through season

Eighth Grade Sports

Season for winter sport kicks in

Eighth Grade Sports

Students participate in spring track

Eighth Grade Sports

Boys’ spring track season starts

Eighth Grade Sports

Girls’ basketball season begins

Eighth Grade Sports

Get the ball rollin’

Eighth Grade Sports

Softball season draws to a close