Keeping up with lions

Tim+Dzurko+participated+in+a+celebration+recognizing+Pennsylvania+teacher+of+the+year+nominees.++

Photo courtesy of Tim Dzurko

Tim Dzurko participated in a celebration recognizing Pennsylvania teacher of the year nominees.

Is your first period being too noisy during announcements? Don’t worry, we’ve got your back! Keeping up with the lions announces all the important dates you need to know every Friday!

This week the school has started many activities, here’s a list of them in case you missed the announcements throughout the week.

The fifth annual Scholastic Book fair has come to the school! Down in the library, the book fair started on the fourth and has gone through the fifth and the sixth for makeup in case you forgot your money on the other days. The library is closed due the book fair until Dec, 8.

On Dec, 7. For just a quarter, you can buy an adhesive mustache and wear it all day!

Attention to the ninth grade boys interested for Volleyball, the school is holding open gym on Tuesday, Dec, 12. It starts from 6-8 in the gym.

Softball open gym is on the seventh in the auxiliary gym at the B building over at the high school for eighth graders. the open gym starts at 5:45 until 6:45 p.m. For ninth graders, open gym starts at 7:15 until 8:15 p.m.

If you’re attending the Star Wars award movie, make sure your permission slip is in by Dec, 7! Turn them into your appropriate grade level office.

In case you haven’t heard, the ninth graders pulled through during the sharing for the holidays and stole first place! They are now getting rewarded with an ice cream party on Friday the eighth. Ninth graders will receive their tickets in homeroom and bring them down to lunch with them to get a tasty treat!

If you’re in speech team make sure you don’t miss the meeting on Dec. 11. until 4 p.m. in room 431.

In bigger news, eighth grader, El Straw, won the Operation Our Town Contest! The prompt was being drug free and she nailed it! Congratulations to El, and watch out for some more writing contest opportunities.

Joleyna Martino

Ski & snowboard club is now in action! Drop by room 401, Josie Peterman, or room 256,  Phil Peterman to pick up an information packet!

Looking into the future, math club has a competition on Feb, 3. Weekly practices are held Wednesdays in Chris Lloyd’s room.

Interested in going into the GACTC? Outside of the first and second floor counseling offices you can find an application. Make sure you return your applications as soon as possible!

The winter track meet is at Dickinson College on Dec. 16.

In Foods for Healthy Living, Mrs. Juart’s students completed their Iron Chef Junior cooking lab. Student groups were given one of the five food groups to base a recipe on. The guidelines for the recipes are that they must be healthy, budget friendly, be made
mostly of the food group assigned, and a challenging recipe. Additionally a secret ingredient is added by the teacher for the groups to work incorporate into their recipes.

Fourteen NJHS students to the State Summit in Pittsburgh.

Jennyfer Wilson’s classes are participating in a “Random Acts of December Kindness” calendar activity where they are challenged to complete at least 10 random acts of kindness throughout the month.

Finally, this was a big week for Tim Dzurko.   Dzurko was one of twelve Teacher of the Year finalists for the State of Pennsylvania.  He and the other finalists were honored this week at the SAS Institute in Hershey at ceremony where one of his students, Abigail McGeary, introduced him to the guests.  He was congratulated by Pedro Rivera, Secretary of Education and later had the opportunity to tour the Governor’s Mansion.

Photo courtesy of Tim Dzurko