Peace boxes distributed

Love%21+Ninth+grader+Michael+Herren+stands+behind+peace+boxes+in+Mrs.O%27Roarks+art+class+room.+
Love! Ninth grader Michael Herren stands behind peace boxes in Mrs.O'Roarks art class room.

Mrs.O'Roark

Mrs.O'Roark

Sarah Weathersbee, Reporter

Posters of boxes decorated with paint can be seen throughout the school. These boxes are known as “ peace boxes”  and have been delivered to students during their eighth period upon request.

The idea of the peace box has been brought to school by eighth grade art teacher Sara O’Roark.  

“ The peace box is a project that artist Franck de Las Marcedes started where he sent a peace box to anyone who requested one for free, and all you would have to pay for is shipping. The project lasted ten years and 16,000 boxes were mailed. They were meant to express and spread peace through art. They are cardboard boxes painted by student with a sticker that says fragile this box contains love, hope,etc ,” O’Roark said.

The boxes are meant to express this concept instead of having a physical purpose.

“Peace boxes make kids feel special about themselves by sending the message of love, hope, happiness or equality,” ninth grader Calvin Lovett said.

“ I love receiving peace boxes; they just bring so much joy and happiness,” ninth grader Paige Vallei said.

Peace boxes can also be used for any purpose.

“ I am going to use my peace box to store things like peace bracelets or special items,” seventh grader Grace Settlemyer said.

“ Students, teachers and custodians have been requesting peace boxes. Once you get one , it’s up to you! I’ve seen some teachers putting them in windows to remind students of what’s important,”  O’Roark said.

Upon request, peace boxes are easy to recieve.

“ Outside the counselor offices there is a peace box with forms beside it.  You just fill out who it’s going to, who’s requesting it  and the recipeint’s eighth period. Then stick it in the box, and it should come that day or the next during eighth period,” Vallei said.  

Peace boxes are meant to show the value of giving.

“ It’s nice for students in class to understand the value in giving. We have seen teachers request for students, teachers request for principals. It’s selflessly giving, spreading positivity everyone can use, and it’s spreading talents of students through art,” O’Roark said.

Peace boxes will be around until the end of the year or until they run out.

Sara O’Roark
Peace! Eighth grader Aiden Steinbugel holds four boxes while friend
Brock Vancas lends a hand.

Sara O’Roark
Fragile! Peace boxes inside Mrs. O’Roark’s room sit patiently waiting for someone to request them.

About the Writer
Sarah Weathersbee, Reporter

Sarah Weathersbee plays volleyball for the high school, enjoys watching Netflix, editing photos and listening to music. She has a bubbly personality and enjoys helping people. She also enjoys playing with her dog Layla and hanging out with friends.

1 Comment

One Response to “Peace boxes distributed”

1. alicia thayer on March 1st, 2018 1:49 pm

I think that the peace box ideas are very cool and a fun creative way for students to spread positivity.

• Peace boxes distributed

Feature Stories

Drama club presents Goldilocks on Trial

• Peace boxes distributed

Feature Stories

New junior high teachers join faculty

• Peace boxes distributed

Feature Stories

Harvest Day moves to Mansion Park

• Peace boxes distributed

Feature Stories

Students support spirit week

• Peace boxes distributed

Feature Stories

Construction of new building has minimum impact

• Peace boxes distributed

Feature Stories

Rachel’s Challenge spreads kindness through school

• Peace boxes distributed

Feature Stories

Ninth grade honors students go on trial

• Peace boxes distributed

Feature Stories

School year ends with recess days from May 24-31

• Peace boxes distributed

Feature Stories

School hosts final game night for year

• Peace boxes distributed

Feature Stories

Students end final marking period

Peace boxes distributed