Keeping up with the lions

Morgan Baker

This week on Feb. 9, 2018 is Hat Day. You can stop by the student council room on your floor (447 for seventh grade, 310 for eighth grade and 207 for ninth grade) to purchase a sticker so that you can wear a hat. The cost for Hat Day is $1.

The Circle of Friends Valentine’s Day party will be held on Feb. 14, 2018 from 3 to 4:30 p.m. in room 429. Don’t forget to turn in your permission slip for the party to Ms. Herr or Ms. Grabill.

Spring physicals for ninth graders will be held on Feb. 15, 2018 right after school at the high school field house. If you need physical papers, go see Coach Luciano or Coach McAleer.

Feb. 15, 2018 is the Sweetheart’s dance for ninth graders. Tickets will be sold on Feb. 12, 2018 for students with last names A-K and on Feb. 13, 2018 for students with last names L-Z. On Feb. 14, 2018 tickets will also be sold to those who were absent. Tickets will be sold in the morning outside the auditorium from 7:15 to 7:35 am. Tickets cost five dollars and will not be sold at the door.

Sara O’Roark’s Art 8 classes made bookmarks by cutting paper and then using painting skills from previous lessons. They then glued them to card stock. Finally, they put them in books in the library for students to check out!

Wes Rogers had over 20 students participate in the winter chess tournament. The top three places were in first place Milo Wilkins, second place was Simon Chen and third place was Jason Carr-Keefe.

The first Lego Club meeting will be rescheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 14 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the library.

The STEM competition has been rescheduled for Feb. 20.

Samantha Abbott took third place in the regional Math Counts competition this past weekend.  She will move on to the state competition in March.

Members of the AAJHS TSA Chapter competed in the Region 8 TSA Leadership Conference and Competition at Northern Cambria School District. Students from eleven school districts in Region 8 competed in STEM related events throughout the day. Students placed as follows: Technical Design Challenge – Team of Sarah Graham and Darrian Berkheimer – 1st Place; Team of Ben Wagner and Aiden Gregg – 2nd Place. Challenging Technology Issues –
Team of Alyssa Clark and Cameron Krause – 3rd Place; Team of Sarah Graham and Darrian Berkheimer – 4th Place. Essays on Technology – Darrian Berkheimer – 2nd Place. Flight Technology – Cameron Krause– 2nd Place; Anastazia Barchefski – 4th Place. Off the Grid Challenge – Team of Alyssa Clark and Amelia Schultz – 2nd Place. Web Site Design – Team of Jude Kaufmann and Tyler Houp – 3rd Place. Video Game Design –Jake Hicks– 3rd Place.
Tech Bowl Written – Aiden Gregg – 4th Place and Ben Wagner – 5th Place. Children’s Stories – Team of Sarah Graham and Darrian Berkheimer – 2nd Place; Team of Landen Fisher, Mackenzie Taylor, and Ben Shank – 4th Place

Tim Dzurko, as a 2018 Pennsylvania Teacher of the Year finalist, was invited by the Governor and attended his budget address before the Joint Session of the General Assemblyat the Capital in Harrisburg.