Hat day helps fundraise money for K-9 unit

Back to Article
Back to Article

A check is being given to Rik and his sheriff Ott. Rik is a little distracted and wouldn't look at the camera.

AASD

AASD

AASD

Maddy Pincin, Reporter

On Feb. 9, 2018 the school held a hat day and staff had a dress down day in order to raise money for the Altoona K-9 unit.

February, student council decided to help raise money for the K-9 unit hoping to help pay for the K-9 dog named Rik. Rik is undergoing operation and the unit needed help getting the money for the expenses. The K-9 unit is glad that our school decided to help raise money for their unit. Not only did the students help by wearing hats and raising money but the school allowed faculty and staff to participate in a dress down day for $5.

“Hat Day is typically something the students get into and like having.  We thought it seemed like a great idea for an easy fundraiser for the K-9 unit,” ninth grade teacher Jessica Hogan said.

Students were able to wear a hat and participate if they paid $1 at the beginning of the school day. They each got a sticker to show they paid.

“Dr. Prijatelj started this venture for the entire district to join in and Student Council was happy to join in and help the cause!” ninth grade teach Hogan said.

Dr. Prijatelj started this whole fundraiser and chose to fun for the K-9 unit. Also, the school had special dress down day for this cause.

“AASD raised $4,033.17 for Deputy Rik.  His handler, or partner, is Deputy Steve Nadar,” community relations director Paula Foreman said.

All money was raised by the students and faculty and any other donations people decided to give.

“I understand they are in need of a new vehicle for transport of the dog, some new equipment and additional training for the dog and officer and other expenses related to the dog,” community relations director Foreman said.

Rik is going through an operation that will need a lot of money to get done and raising money to pay for these expenses truly helped the K-9 unit.

“The high school previously gave a donation to support the Sheriff’s other K9, Lily.  I believe it was 2014.  When the sheriff’s department announced the addition of Rik, they expressed their need for community support.  A parent had asked that we consider the possibility of a fundraiser.  Assistant Superintendent Patty Burlingame coordinated the efforts and our Superintendent, Dr. Prijatelj approved it,” community relations director Foreman said.

This was not the first time we helped raise money for the K-9 unit and a parent even considered it when the K-9 unit put out that they needed the help to raise money.

“The Sheriff’s Department has assisted AASD in different cases and to have the K-9 unit available in our immediate area is invaluable.  Rik is certified for patrol, he can sniff out explosives and he can be used  by the Sheriff’s department to assist with the Warrant Division.  This is a great opportunity to support a local resource that benefits our students and our community,” community relations director Foreman said.

Katie Lockard and Jamen Mccabe participate in wearing a hat during the school day. They donated a $1 to wear the hat.

About the Writer
Maddy Pincin, Reporter

Maddy Pincin is an adventurous and outgoing person once you get to know her. She is shy at first but once she's around friends it's a different story....

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Hat day helps fundraise money for K-9 unit”

1. Marcus Lucas on March 5th, 2018 8:59 am

I think this is a great cause to help with and i am glad we donated to the K-9 unit to help Rik. Any time we can give back to the ones who serve and protect us is a great thing. I hope Rik gets better.

2. Jet on March 7th, 2018 1:19 pm

I think that raising money for a K-9 is great because they are capable of doing many things that help our community. they can sniff out drugs, bombs, and other things which is great, we all want to live in a safe community so doing this is really cool.

3. Nick Hogan on March 8th, 2018 12:44 pm

I think this is very cool and thoughtful. I own a dog and this seems cool because, I would do the same for my dog. Great idea we are fundraising for the community.

4. Ethan on March 9th, 2018 1:48 pm

Great idea I think this was very kind of the students and staff to do this. It a good opportunity for the students to do something nice and also get to wear their hats.

5. Noah Mussleman on March 16th, 2018 12:51 pm

Im glad to hear that people raised over $4,000 for deputy Steve Nadar and deputy Rik and I’m also glad that they put all of this money towards Rik and his needs. It’s nice that everyone had fun with the fundraiser and I wish I would have participated!

6. Taylor on March 16th, 2018 1:31 pm

I think it is great that the school made a hat day in order to pay for Riks operation. I think it is awesome that so many people volunteer and the teachers got to dress down but also had to pay so they could raise money for a good cause.

7. Mychenze Alberts on March 20th, 2018 8:52 am

Wow great story. This is for a great cause and it’s a good idea to do a story on it.

8. yasmene on March 26th, 2018 1:46 pm

I really like this

• Hat day helps fundraise money for K-9 unit

Feature Stories

Students raise funds to support family affected by fire

Feature Stories

Drama club presents Goldilocks on Trial

Feature Stories

New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Harvest Day moves to Mansion Park

Feature Stories

Students support spirit week

Feature Stories

Construction of new building has minimum impact

Feature Stories

Rachel’s Challenge spreads kindness through school

Feature Stories

Ninth grade honors students go on trial

Feature Stories

School year ends with recess days from May 24-31

Feature Stories

School hosts final game night for year