Students attend active shooter assemblies

Ashley Steinbugl, Reporter

During the past month, school shootings have been in the news.  Many area schools have begun new safety initiatives.  Students in this district attended initial active shooter trainings.

Students learned three simple steps:  Run, Hide, Fight. These steps are being taught to help protect teachers, staff and students.

“ Yes, I think the assembly had a lot of good tips on how to stay safe during a school shooting and how you can protect and defend yourself,” eighth grader Madison Zimmerer said. “They help you in case you were in a room or close to an active shooter.” 

Teachers had attended training at a past in-service, and students attended assemblies in February.

“I don’t like the thought of them, and they scare me and make me worried that one could happen at our school,” Zimmerer said.

“It’s upsetting to know what the world has came too,” Reed said.

Although building police officers trained the students, state police officers trained teachers.  This training is offered for free to businesses, churches and school.

www.ready.marines.mil
Base officials recommend active-duty service members, civil servants, contractors, families, retirees and veterans keep vigilant to help ensure their safety and the safety of those around them.

12 Comments

12 Responses to “Students attend active shooter assemblies”

1. Simon Chen on March 1st, 2018 1:45 pm

In this story, the topic is about school shooting, and which we were taken to a assembly for training in case of a shooting or a shooting that might occur. Many students commented they were afraid of the fact of this events possibility on happening to our school so which we were taught signs of this happening and make sure to tell a adult or a staff. The 3 actions while in a shooting is to run/escape, hide, or fight which find most effected from the staffs and most people in the world.

2. Kaya Newell on March 1st, 2018 1:50 pm

I agree with Madison Zimmerman, that the asssembly did help if this were to occur in our school.

3. Gauge Bush on March 6th, 2018 1:50 pm

It was talking about what we would do during a school shooting

4. Steven Clark on March 7th, 2018 1:17 pm

The assembly helped everyone but I think that we need to have at least one drill. See an assembly tells and helps us what to do if a shooter comes in but if we don’t have a drill then we wont be able to test what we know. We need to have drills here so we can make a plan if we do not have one already(which we should have one.)

5. Jeffrey McCulloch on March 8th, 2018 12:58 pm

The topic is about school shootings. if the AAAJHS or AAHS gets in a shooting or close to one we have 3 rules. 1 run and escape. we need to get away from the shooter to save our lives. 2 hide and do not come out until the school is safe. 3 if the shooter comes in your classroom you must fight to save your life and need to help save others

6. kiara flanagan on March 8th, 2018 8:55 pm

I think that this is a very scary thing about what is happing but the meeting did help.

7. Haley Ratchford on March 16th, 2018 11:26 am

I think it was important to learn abut this just in case it ever happened and I am glad our school takes action about it.

8. Colin Conahye on March 16th, 2018 12:59 pm

I think this article helps us learn what to do when we have a school shooter

9. Russell Delfosse on March 16th, 2018 1:45 pm

I believe it’s terrible we must plan like this, but it’s a good thing we are just in case it happens. I just wish that it were different than this.

10. Alivia Grove on March 20th, 2018 8:50 am

I think they are right. We should follow these plans would work. It is awful we have to prepare for these things

11. Riley Reid on March 20th, 2018 11:29 am

I feel better about attending school now that I know the school has a plan. With that said, I still feel unsure about the whole plan. If someone was going to do something, that person would know all about our safety plan and where we go. No one can predict how a student or teacher will react to a situation like what happened in Parkland, all anyone can do is try there hardest.

12. Nick DeAntonio on March 20th, 2018 8:35 pm

Since the checks I feel safer to go into school. I like that we devised a plan to keep us safe. However I do think that it’s sad that we have to do this.

• Students attend active shooter assemblies

News

Christmas spirit week- coming faster than snow

News

Mountain Lion Fan Club plans to spread school spirit

News

Students earn their way to awards

News

Altoona hosts social media awareness seminar for parents May 31

News

Mathcounts student moves to states

News

Ninth grade biology students plan to attend field trip

News

National Junior Honor Society plans end of year field trip

News

Eighth grade math curriculum changes

News

School board votes to construct new high school building

News

Students compete in rock, paper, scissor competition