• May 8Badminton Tournament, Basketball Tournament and Dodge Ball Games May 14 from 3-5 in A and B Gyms.

• May 8In need of dresses, ties, shirts/pants or shoes - check out the Social closet in room 210.

• May 89th graders: Social tickets will be sold for $10.00 the week of the dance.

• May 8AAHS Mountain Lion Mascot Tryouts Wednesday, May 15 at 3:00 pm in Room B8.

• May 8AAHS Cheerleading tryouts will be held in the AAHS Auxiliary Gym on May 6 and 8-10

• May 8Summer school applications are available in the guidance office until May 14

• March 13The Daffodil DELIVERY DATE has been moved to WEDNESDAY, APRIL 3.

High school spring sports begin

Back to Article
Back to Article

High school spring sports begin

Morgan Baker, Reporter

As spring begins, so do its sports. Coming up: boys’ tennis, boys’ baseball, girls’ softball and boys’ and girls’ track.

Boys’ Tennis

“I’m looking forward to the season because I like to play tennis,” ninth grader Nick Shimminger said.

Ninth grade boys play on the high school team as there is no official junior high team.

“The hardest part of tennis is getting your serves in. It’s not easy to serve and get it in everytime,” Shimminger said.

A serve in tennis is a shot to start a point. A player will hit the ball with a raquet so it will fall into the diagonally opposite service box without being stopped by the net.

“My favorite part of tennis is going on away matches and winning them because then we get to go out to eat and get Chinese food,” Shimminger said.

A tennis match is made up of two to three sets. To win a set, a person must win at least six games. The games are scored starting at “love” (zero) and go up to forty.

Girls’ Softball

“I’m looking forward to the season because I’m going to be able to go to some of the varsity games even though I’m just a freshman,” ninth grader Riley Steinbugl said.

There is a junior high softball team and a high school team.

“The hardest part of softball is playing outfield because it is not my best spot,” Steinbugl said.

The outfield in softball is the section of fair territory between the infield and the fence.

“My favorite part of softball is batting because I’ve been working hard on my swing,” Steinbugl said.

Batting is the offensive side of softball.

Boys’ and Girls’ Track

“I’m looking forward to the season because I like running,” ninth grader Aydan Summers said.

Although the junior high has a track team, ninth graders compete with the high school athletes.

“The hardest part of track is the workouts because they’re long and we have to sprint,” Summers said.

Track workouts usually consist of 400, 800 and 200 sprints on the track.

“My favorite part of track is the meets because it’s fun to compete against other people,” Summers said.

Jumping, sprinting, throwing, hurdling, pole vault and distance running are all events in track.

Boys’ Baseball

“I’m looking forward to the season because we get to go to Virginia,” ninth grader Garrett Rossman said.

Baseball is another sport only available to ninth graders as a high school sport.  Many younger athletes compete on other local teams.

“The hardest part of baseball is hitting because you don’t know what you’re going to hit,” Rossman said.

Hitting is the offensive side of baseball.

“My favorite part of baseball is pitching because pitching allows me to be invovled more,” Rossman said.

About the Contributors
Morgan Baker, Reporter

Morgan Baker is a straight A student who runs varsity for the Altoona Cross Country Team. She enjoys free-style dancing, eating, writing and reading.

Ben Blackie, Reporter

Ben Blackie is a student at AAJHS. Along with being in the school newspaper, he has been a part of the school's student council since seventh grade. He...

1 Comment

One Response to “High school spring sports begin”

1. Elaina P. on April 13th, 2018 8:57 am

Keep up the hard working on the sports.

• High school spring sports begin

Eighth Grade Sports

New baseball teams wrap up season

• High school spring sports begin

Sports

Middle school track, field win championships

• High school spring sports begin

Eighth Grade Sports

Seventh, eighth grade track and field kicks off

• High school spring sports begin

Eighth Grade Sports

Athletic department adds baseball for spring

• High school spring sports begin

Eighth Grade Sports

Basketball teams midway through season

• High school spring sports begin

Eighth Grade Sports

Season for winter sport kicks in

• High school spring sports begin

Sports

Freshman football team finishes undefeated

• High school spring sports begin

Sports

Fall sports teams face rivials

• High school spring sports begin

Sports

Track season comes to end

• High school spring sports begin

Ninth Grade Sports

Track athletes compete in Mountain Lion Classic

High school spring sports begin