• January 11Follow the principals on Twitter - @Principal_AAJHS @9thGradeAAJHS @DCAMPBELL_AAJHS @Ms_Bogle_AAJHS

• January 7Daffodil Sales are back! Help raise money for the American Cancer Society. Room 212 for info

• December 18Winter break for students Dec. 21 to Jan. 2.

I survived eating alone

Back to Article
Back to Article

I survived eating alone

By Alhayanasreen (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Alhayanasreen

Alhayanasreen

Alhayanasreen

Gianna Ciavarella, Reporter

Did you hear about the restaurant on the moon? It had great food and all, but no atmosphere!

Good morning, good afternoon and goodnight. Today we are going to dive into dangerous territory, my mind. Only God knows what my imagination can think of. Today I’m going to share with you my own personal thoughts. Five to be exact. I’m practically giving you the key to my mind! This key is temporary and will let you venture into my thoughts when I had to do the unimaginable, eat alone.

I took a little trip to my local McDonald’s. Once I got there I walked up to the cashier and order an Artisan Grilled Chicken and a bottle of water. I told myself I’ve never fallen head over heels for tomatoes, but I wasn’t going to ask to have them removed. I didn’t want to be THAT customer. So I simply ordered it as it was intended to be ordered and patiently waited. McDonald’s is a fast-food chain, so I shortly got my sandwich approximately four minutes after my order was registered.

Thought one: “I bet I look like the biggest loser ever.”

It’s McDonald’s, there’s always someone at McDonald’s! I’m not too hot in the social interaction subject, so I wasn’t going to even ATTEMPT to talk to someone. Yet anytime I would look at someone they had company. I’d felt like the whole world was staring at me and my chicken sandwich, but in reality, I’m sure no one cared about me and the meal anyways.

Thought two: “No, it’s fine, I’M fine, I have PLENTY of friends, right? There just not here right now.”

I’m constantly talking to my friends. I love them, and I love keeping in touch with them. When I was at McDonald’s, I told myself not to touch my phone. It’d practically be cheating! Man did I want to send an “SOS” emergency snap to my friends.

Thought three: “There’s no one with me to tell me if there’s something in my teeth. Now I’ll have to look at the reflection of my phone and pray someone doesn’t look over.”

I understand it was a sandwich, but there could be a whole mess of gunk in your teeth. Discreetly checking in the reflection of your phone probably wasn’t my best bet. As usual, I did it anyway.

Thought four: “God am I eating too slow. Are the people around me wondering why I’ve been staring at the subtitles on the TV while Icarly is on the tele for twenty minutes? I’m distracted, back to the sandwich.”

I’m not the best at focusing. I’m a professional at zoning out. I personally love Icarly, and I wasn’t going to let my sandwich get in the way of watching my show.

The final thought: “Ok, I’m done eating. Crap. When should I get up? Should I just wait a little? I’ll wait until the clock hits thirty. *checks clock* Oh snap, its thirty three, I’ll wait till thirty five. *clock hits thirty five* Ok, I’ll countdown to ten… Nope! Forget it! I’m getting up.”

At some point, I have to man up and throw my trash away. I’m fifteen and I can’t even throw away a box without having to rehearse a walk of shame to the trash. I’m ashamed.

All in all, eating alone isn’t as bad as it seems. I may have my ups and downs, but at the end of the day having some alone time can really help you organize your mind. I was eventually picked up from McDonald’s and returned home. I was finally back with my family, and I felt great.

I hope you enjoyed a tour of my mind. If this key to my imagination told you anything, let it be a reminder that you’re not alone and sometimes expressing your thoughts can be a good thing. You never know, you may be invited back again!

About the Writer
Gianna Ciavarella, Reporter

Gianna Ciavarella is a freshman at Altoona Area Junior High School. In her free time she is an entrepreneurial photographer for fun and plays tennis for...

1 Comment

One Response to “I survived eating alone”

1. Syd on March 27th, 2018 10:36 am

I feel you man.

• I survived eating alone

Columns

DelGrosso’s shouldn’t be teen’s first pick for job

• I survived eating alone

Columns

School needs active shooting drills

• I survived eating alone

Columns

New Chromebook software shouldn’t be used

• I survived eating alone

Columns

Ninth graders need summer gym class

• I survived eating alone

Columns

Ripped jeans aren’t distracting

• I survived eating alone

Columns

Stop smoking Juuls

• I survived eating alone

Columns

Junior high needs study halls

• I survived eating alone

Columns

Hey eighth graders! Follow these tips to start next year right

• I survived eating alone

Columns

Weather interferes with music department adjudication

• I survived eating alone

Columns

Happy retirement, Mr. Yon! We will miss you.

I survived eating alone