• May 8Badminton Tournament, Basketball Tournament and Dodge Ball Games May 14 from 3-5 in A and B Gyms.

• May 8In need of dresses, ties, shirts/pants or shoes - check out the Social closet in room 210.

• May 89th graders: Social tickets will be sold for $10.00 the week of the dance.

• May 8AAHS Mountain Lion Mascot Tryouts Wednesday, May 15 at 3:00 pm in Room B8.

• May 8AAHS Cheerleading tryouts will be held in the AAHS Auxiliary Gym on May 6 and 8-10

• May 8Summer school applications are available in the guidance office until May 14

• March 13The Daffodil DELIVERY DATE has been moved to WEDNESDAY, APRIL 3.

Ten tips for upcoming test takers

Here's a fun list of 10 tips to think of before taking a standardized test

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ten tips for upcoming test takers

Jocelyn Fetter, Opinion editor

At one point or another, we’ve all taken a standardized test. If you’re like the most of us, your favorite part is the snacks afterwards. Although none of us enjoy it, we all have to take it, so here are  some tips to help you stay focused and pass your test the first time.

• Get a goodnight of sleep. I know this is one thing your teachers always told you, and we always rolled our eyes, but it’s important.
  • Eat a decent breakfast. I don’t suggest anything like soda or cupcakes but maybe some eggs or a bowl of cereal will keep you going through your test.
  • Don’t stress too much. When looking at a problem, don’t stress yourself out. Break the problem apart, and try to find what you do know, and then take your best guess.
  • Try your best. I’ve taken these tests for years of my life and believe me when I say, you will not know everything on there.
  • Take your time. Don’t rush. You can take as long as you need to take your test, so take your time. It’s not a game, and there’s no prize if you finish early.
  • Take a mental break if needed. There have been many times when I got a headache and needed a little break. Just lay your head down for a sec or close your eyes for a minute and take a breather.
  • Read through the problem or section completely. Make sure you know what you’re answering, so that way you don’t spend forever writing or answering nonsense.
  • Check your work when you’re done. It sounds like another typical teacher thing, but it’s important to make sure you check over your work once you’re finished.
  • Check your bubbles. Make sure all your bubbles are completely filled in, and check to make sure you didn’t mess up when filling in your answers and missed one. You don’t want to end up failing because you missed one bubble.   
  • Relax. Don’t get nervous and clammy. Take a deep breath, read everything carefully and take your time. 

Good luck to everyone as they finish the PSSA’s and start the Keystones.