Keeping up with lions

Julia Lane’s artistic work got chosen as the winner. The school also raised five hundred dollars. In the photo; Kristina Rose, FCS teacher; Shannon Warburton, American Cancer Society Senior Community Development Manager and Julia Lane, ninth grade student.

Maddy Pincin, Reporter

Is your first period being too noisy during announcements? Don’t worry, we’ve got your back! Keeping up with the lions announces all the important dates you need to know every Friday.

Recess day is right around the corner, this year you will have the option of going outside or staying in and watching a movie. Eighth graders are outside today and seventh and ninth graders get their chance next week. If going out for recess day, remember to bring some money if you want to buy soda or candy. Water is free. These will be available outside next to the Roosevelt field.

Attention Circle of Friends, the end of the year Luau party will be in the gym from 3-4:30 on Tuesday, May 29. Make sure you turned in your permission slip to Ms. Herr in room C324 or Ms. Grabill in room C429 no later than Thursday May 24. Extra permission slips are available outside Ms. Herr’s room C324.

For Drama Club, they will have an end of year activity on May 30 from 3-4pm in the auditorium.

To all the students, teachers and faculty members: this week will be your last chance to request a Peace Box! Boxes can be requested outside of Sarah O’Roark’s room on the eighth grade floor or outside of the grade level counselors offices on the seventh and ninth grade floors.

Any student in grades seven, eight or nine who is interested in playing golf for the Altoona High School Golf team should be aware there will be an organizational meeting today at 2:45 p.m. in the Field house. Anyone interested in trying out for the golf team this fall and any student interested in trying out for the team in the future should attend this meeting. If you have any questions see Coach Kozak at the High School.

AAJHS collected funds to support Relay for Life through having a “pink” sale, voting using cash, and a t-shirt sale. After voting on designs done by several students; Julia Lane’s artistic work was the winner.The school raised $500 this year and hopes to continue to raise money for this cause. Look for AAJHS luminary bags, designed my Jessica Miller and O’Roark’s art students, throughout Mansion Park Friday and Saturday, June 8 and 9. Please join us for this special event.
AAJHS Staff raised $399 for “We Love Our Kids” via a dress down day.
Mackenzie Wilt’s students examined 3D photos from the civil war with 3D glasses. They really enjoyed the activity.

The Junior High Life Skills and Autistic Support Classrooms attended the High School Life Skills Graduation Ceremony for the 2018 graduates to support their accomplishments.
Thanks to an AASD Foundation Grant written by librarian Justina McCaulley, Maggie Lewis’s seventh graders Skyped with award winning author Paul Volponi. The students discussed his latest book, Top Prospect, and he gave them feedback on a piece of their own writing they submitted to him. This visit was in conjunction with Lewis’s
creative writing unit.
Thanks to a Foundation Venture Grant, the students in Brandy Juart’s classes completed a Food Truck Face Off. Students created their own food truck business, logo, slogan, advertisement and menu options. Once created, the students choose one recipe to represent their truck and made samples for the class. Students then voted for their favorite over all idea and food. Winners were given a small trophy.
In Juart’s ESL class they celebrated with a culture day. During culture day studentsshared foods that are specific to their country and shared why they were significant with the other students. Students made food from Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Costa Rica and Puerto Rico.

Over 280 members of The AAJHS department traveled to Hershey to participate in a music festival sponsored by Music in the Parks.” Awards were as follows: Varsity Chorus- excellent; Varsity Jazz Band-Superior; Varsity Marching Band and Fronts-Superior; Varsity String Ensemble-Superior. In addition, Ami Smith-Banks received the
Overall Jazz Band Soloist Award.
Art students in eighth and ninth grade had their artwork displayed in the Student Art Exhibit at the Blair County Arts Festival.