• May 8Badminton Tournament, Basketball Tournament and Dodge Ball Games May 14 from 3-5 in A and B Gyms.

• May 8In need of dresses, ties, shirts/pants or shoes - check out the Social closet in room 210.

• May 89th graders: Social tickets will be sold for $10.00 the week of the dance.

• May 8AAHS Mountain Lion Mascot Tryouts Wednesday, May 15 at 3:00 pm in Room B8.

• May 8AAHS Cheerleading tryouts will be held in the AAHS Auxiliary Gym on May 6 and 8-10

• May 8Summer school applications are available in the guidance office until May 14

• March 13The Daffodil DELIVERY DATE has been moved to WEDNESDAY, APRIL 3.

New junior high teachers join faculty

Back to Article
Back to Article

New junior high teachers join faculty

With their minds focused, Kelcie Kenney and Ashlee Moyer work on their comprehension questions in Michelle Garman's English class.  Students worked on their homework before class ended.

With their minds focused, Kelcie Kenney and Ashlee Moyer work on their comprehension questions in Michelle Garman's English class. Students worked on their homework before class ended.

Brayden Adams, Reporter

Eighteen teachers joined the building or switched roles this school year.

Matthew Gill, Lori Stangl, Kimberly Peck and Susan Smithmyer are four of the 14 teachers who joined the building.

Gill is having a wonderful time at the junior high.

“Yes, I’m definitely enjoying my time here at the junior high so far!  The administrators and other teachers have been very friendly and helpful, and the students are cooperative, polite and eager to learn,” Gill said.

Stangl also enjoys her time at the junior high.

“I have made excellent connections with staff.  The students are great to work with. I feel very lucky,” Stangl said.

Peck loves how she gets to work with the staff and teach students.

“I’ve really enjoyed getting to know some of the students and staff.  There has been a lot to learn, but I am very glad to be here and look forward to what the rest of the year brings,” Peck said.

Smithmyer has a positive outlook on the staff and students.

“I am very much enjoying my time teaching at the junior high.  The staff is so supporting and welcoming. The students are dedicated and hard working,” Smithmyer said.

Lori Piper and Cameron Kyle are two of the four teachers who switched roles within the school district.

Piper moved down to the first floor of the junior high to teach eighth grade tech ed and the ninth grade engineering elective after teaching seventh grade integrated science.

Piper moved from the fourth floor to the first floor in search of a new teaching opportunity.

“Last year, when one of the teachers left, I decided to come down here because I wanted to do more of the engineering-type projects, so this was a great opportunity for me to be able to get into more engineering and problem-based teaching,” Piper said.

Piper has been teaching at the junior high for quite some time.  She loves to see her students grow up over the years.

“I love getting to watch the kids as they grow and mature and then watching them come back from the high school to join TSA clubs and to come visit in this kind of place,” Piper said.

Kyle began teaching eighth grade American cultures after being a supervisor in the suspension room. Kyle also switched roles in the school district.

“I’ve always liked history.  History has always been my subject,” Kyle said.

Social Studies  was his favorite subject in middle school and still is today.

“I always thought it was very interesting, and I have always had great social studies teachers too.  They have influenced me along the way,” Kyle said.

Piper and Kyle are both very pleased with their new roles around the junior high.  They are looking forward to teaching these subjects for quite some time.

About the Writer
Brayden Adams, Reporter

Hi! My name is Brayden Adams. I am the music geek of the school. I play guitar, bass guitar and drums. It has been my passion since I was in sixth grade....

5 Comments

5 Responses to “New junior high teachers join faculty”

1. Connor George on October 29th, 2018 10:34 am

The AP style is phenomenal, it really brings out the story. It is a very good story overall, but it ends on a cliffhanger.

2. Destiny Montgomery on October 29th, 2018 10:38 am

I miss Mr. Smith, and I’m glad that a teacher like Mr. Kyle is taking his place.

3. Savannah Blazer on October 29th, 2018 10:40 am

My cousin, Mr. Kyle was moved from in-school suspension to social studies on the eighth grade floor. My sister has him as a teacher and she tells me how much she loves his class.

4. McKenzie Quirin on October 29th, 2018 2:28 pm

I think the AP style is really good and it provides information about each of the teachers that are new to the district and all of the ones that have switched teaching positions or schools.

5. Robert Ferrell on October 29th, 2018 2:32 pm

This is a great story that gives students a chance to read about some of the new teachers they will be seeing and why some of their old teachers moved from where they were before.

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Mitchell to retire at end of school year

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Spanish student teacher says “adios” to students

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Bardelang recognized by Harkins Foundation

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Club notes

May club monthly update

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Student body welcomes foreign exchange students

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Pfiester attends national advocacy event for Alzheimer’s Association

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Pennsylvania System of School Assessment tests get closer

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Junior high students, teachers take part in foreign language festival

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Teachers team up to help students succeed

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Teachers decide between buildings

New junior high teachers join faculty