New junior high teachers join faculty

With their minds focused, Kelcie Kenney and Ashlee Moyer work on their comprehension questions in Michelle Garman's English class.  Students worked on their homework before class ended.

With their minds focused, Kelcie Kenney and Ashlee Moyer work on their comprehension questions in Michelle Garman's English class. Students worked on their homework before class ended.

Brayden Adams, Reporter

Eighteen teachers joined the building or switched roles this school year.

Matthew Gill, Lori Stangl, Kimberly Peck and Susan Smithmyer are four of the 14 teachers who joined the building.

Gill is having a wonderful time at the junior high.

“Yes, I’m definitely enjoying my time here at the junior high so far!  The administrators and other teachers have been very friendly and helpful, and the students are cooperative, polite and eager to learn,” Gill said.

Stangl also enjoys her time at the junior high.

“I have made excellent connections with staff.  The students are great to work with. I feel very lucky,” Stangl said.

Peck loves how she gets to work with the staff and teach students.

“I’ve really enjoyed getting to know some of the students and staff.  There has been a lot to learn, but I am very glad to be here and look forward to what the rest of the year brings,” Peck said.

Smithmyer has a positive outlook on the staff and students.

“I am very much enjoying my time teaching at the junior high.  The staff is so supporting and welcoming. The students are dedicated and hard working,” Smithmyer said.

Lori Piper and Cameron Kyle are two of the four teachers who switched roles within the school district.

Piper moved down to the first floor of the junior high to teach eighth grade tech ed and the ninth grade engineering elective after teaching seventh grade integrated science.

Piper moved from the fourth floor to the first floor in search of a new teaching opportunity.

“Last year, when one of the teachers left, I decided to come down here because I wanted to do more of the engineering-type projects, so this was a great opportunity for me to be able to get into more engineering and problem-based teaching,” Piper said.

Piper has been teaching at the junior high for quite some time.  She loves to see her students grow up over the years.

“I love getting to watch the kids as they grow and mature and then watching them come back from the high school to join TSA clubs and to come visit in this kind of place,” Piper said.

Kyle began teaching eighth grade American cultures after being a supervisor in the suspension room. Kyle also switched roles in the school district.

“I’ve always liked history.  History has always been my subject,” Kyle said.

Social Studies  was his favorite subject in middle school and still is today.

“I always thought it was very interesting, and I have always had great social studies teachers too.  They have influenced me along the way,” Kyle said.

Piper and Kyle are both very pleased with their new roles around the junior high.  They are looking forward to teaching these subjects for quite some time.

About the Writer
Brayden Adams, Reporter

Hi! My name is Brayden Adams. I am the music geek of the school. I play guitar, bass guitar and drums. It has been my passion since I was in sixth grade. I started going to concerts last year in March, and ever since I went to my first concert, my life has been changed for the better. In addition to my musical interests, I also have an interest in playing video games, running for our school’s track and field team and spending time with the people I love. My dream is to go to college, obtain a master’s degree, live in a very, very nice house and have a job in which I will enjoy the most. I want to be as successful as I can be, so therefore, I am going to try my hardest to do just that. I am Brayden Adams, and welcome to my profile.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “New junior high teachers join faculty”

1. Connor George on October 29th, 2018 10:34 am

The AP style is phenomenal, it really brings out the story. It is a very good story overall, but it ends on a cliffhanger.

2. Destiny Montgomery on October 29th, 2018 10:38 am

I miss Mr. Smith, and I’m glad that a teacher like Mr. Kyle is taking his place.

3. Savannah Blazer on October 29th, 2018 10:40 am

My cousin, Mr. Kyle was moved from in-school suspension to social studies on the eighth grade floor. My sister has him as a teacher and she tells me how much she loves his class.

4. McKenzie Quirin on October 29th, 2018 2:28 pm

I think the AP style is really good and it provides information about each of the teachers that are new to the district and all of the ones that have switched teaching positions or schools.

5. Robert Ferrell on October 29th, 2018 2:32 pm

This is a great story that gives students a chance to read about some of the new teachers they will be seeing and why some of their old teachers moved from where they were before.

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Drama club presents Goldilocks on Trial

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Harvest Day moves to Mansion Park

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Students support spirit week

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Construction of new building has minimum impact

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Rachel’s Challenge spreads kindness through school

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Ninth grade honors students go on trial

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

School year ends with recess days from May 24-31

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

School hosts final game night for year

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Students end final marking period

• New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Escape room challenges students

New junior high teachers join faculty