• May 8Badminton Tournament, Basketball Tournament and Dodge Ball Games May 14 from 3-5 in A and B Gyms.

• May 8In need of dresses, ties, shirts/pants or shoes - check out the Social closet in room 210.

• May 89th graders: Social tickets will be sold for $10.00 the week of the dance.

• May 8AAHS Mountain Lion Mascot Tryouts Wednesday, May 15 at 3:00 pm in Room B8.

• May 8AAHS Cheerleading tryouts will be held in the AAHS Auxiliary Gym on May 6 and 8-10

• May 8Summer school applications are available in the guidance office until May 14

• March 13The Daffodil DELIVERY DATE has been moved to WEDNESDAY, APRIL 3.

Ripped jeans aren’t distracting

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ripped jeans aren’t distracting

Rips and Tears
These are a pair of jeans that are an example of something that would be dress coded. You can not see skin or anything

Rips and Tears These are a pair of jeans that are an example of something that would be dress coded. You can not see skin or anything

Avery Reid, reporter

Are ripped jeans really that distracting?

The Student Code of Conduct states students are not allowed to wear distracting clothing. This rule is mainly referring to girls in the school. While boys wear shorts to knee length girls can’t even wear ripped jeans with the rips at the knees.

There are a lot more girls getting sent home or sent down to the nurse because of the dress code then there are boys.

All of the students are fed up with the dress code and its consequences. There are restrictions and limits that should not be broken, but the school board also shouldn’t be so strict with the dress code rules.

Students should be allowed to wear what they want to wear, at a certain point. It is a part of freedom of speech.

For girls especially it is hard to find clothes now a days that don’t have large rips or tears in them.

Some teachers are more lenient about ripped jeans than others, but the fact of the matter is that if the rips are around thigh area and are very large holes they will get dress coded.

All in all, the school dress code should be changed where it is reasonable for everyone. Students should not be getting in trouble for wearing ripped jeans to school. Girls should not be objectified by the clothes they wear. 

About the Writer
Avery Reid, reporter

Hi, I'm Avery Reid. I'm a freshman in high school and this is my first year in newspaper. My favorite hobby is running, and I am on the high school cross...

1 Comment

One Response to “Ripped jeans aren’t distracting”

1. Minya on December 17th, 2018 2:11 pm

You did a very good job on this column. I agree that students should not be objectified by what they wear. You gave good reasoning and gave good rebuttals.

• Ripped jeans aren’t distracting

Columns

Students deserve field trip

• Ripped jeans aren’t distracting

Columns

A burning cathedral, a loss of history, a lack of conversation

• Ripped jeans aren’t distracting

Columns

School hours affect students’ sleep

• Ripped jeans aren’t distracting

Columns

Internet lags cause work backup

• Ripped jeans aren’t distracting

Columns

Students NEED five minutes between classes

• Ripped jeans aren’t distracting

Columns

Lockdown drills need to be taken more seriously

• Ripped jeans aren’t distracting

Columns

Students face dangerous sidewalks

• Ripped jeans aren’t distracting

Columns

Students should be allowed to carry phones

• Ripped jeans aren’t distracting

Columns

Listen up: Announcements are important

• Ripped jeans aren’t distracting

Columns

Securly blocks unnecessary sites

Ripped jeans aren’t distracting