NASCAR in a flash: Talladega

Winner of the Talladega race. Photo courtesy of daysofthundr46
The winner of the Talladega race on Sunday.
Photo courtesy of daysofthundr46

It was one exciting race last Sunday when the Sprint cup drivers were at Talladega Superspeedway. They reached speeds of 200+ MPH. There were two big wrecks in the race. One in the beginning and one in the end. The first caution was from when Trevor Bayne blew his motor in the first 20 laps. This led to a spectacular driver change by Denny Hamlin and Brian Vickers during this caution. NASCAR  allows a certain kind of hatch that is on the roof of the car. It was intended to be used to pull drivers out of the car if the driver’s side was against the wall, but it helped them make the change quicker.

This was the first race that Hamlin has been in since the accident. The driver that won the race was David Ragan in the No. 34 car.  The first big wreck happened when Kyle Busch was pushing Kasey Kahne. Then Busch spun Kahne, and it caused a big wreck. Then there was a three hour rain delay in the middle. If NASCAR did not have the new jet dryers the time that was lost in the middle of the race would have been a lot longer than it was.

Then finally it came to the final laps of the race and then with six laps to the finish a big wreck broke out which sent Kurt Busch in the air and landing on top of Ryan Newman’s car. This is not the first time Newman has had another car on top of him. The wreck was caused by Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and J.J. Yelley. Stenhouse Jr. bumped into Yelley which sent him into the side of Busch which sent him in the air.

The next race is on Saturday at Darlington Raceway for the Bojangles’ Southern 500 at 6:45 p.m. All in all it was an exciting race to watch and it had a nice little break in between the rain delay.