Pfiester attends national advocacy event for Alzheimer’s Association

Lori Pfiester

AnnMarie Pfiester met with Congressman GT Thompson during her time in Washington.

Brayden Adams, Reporter

In March, ninth grade student AnnMarie Pfiester visited Washington, D.C. to serve as an advocate for the Alzheimer’s Association.  Pfiester has attended two of the premier national advocacy events held annually in Washington, D.C. each year.

Pfiester was very busy during her time in Washington, D.C.

“I had a lot of meetings and classes on the first day alone.  I also had to plan for everything happening in the next couple of days.  Over the course of the trip, I met three Congressmen: Joyce, Kelly and Thompson, and I thought that was pretty neat,” Pfiester said.

Pfiester enjoyed what she did during her trip.

“My favorite part of the trip was going to Capital Hill and meeting the congressmen,” Pfiester said.

While she was in Washington, D.C., Pfiester learned a lot about Congress, the government and how people can contribute to events in order to support a cause.

“I learned how much of an impact people can make on our society. If more people were involved in this kind of stuff, there would be much more of a cause for them to fight for,” Pfiester said.

In order to get where she is, Pfiester needed to step her game up.

“I needed to get involved as much as possible.  Most importantly, stepping out of my comfort zone was a must if I wanted to get along with the congressmen.  I still keep in contact with them today,” Pfiester said.

The Alzheimer’s Association’s Senior Advocacy Manager Joni Shenck is very impressed with Pfeister.

“In 2018, the organization was able to award a scholarship to young, interested advocates, and AnnMarie has surpassed my expectations of that one-time scholarship program,” Shenck said.

Over the past few months, Shenck has gotten to know Pfeister very well.

“I have seen AnnMarie grow from a shy, young lady who needed encouragement to tell her story to a confident young advocate who is ready to use her voice to change the course that Alzheimer’s disease is headed to one that will one day defeat it,” Shenck said.

Shenck believes Pfiester exhibits what the country needs more of.

“Because of her, I have continually asked my own children to get involved,” Shenck said.

Pfiester’s mom, Lori Pfiester, is very proud with what her daughter has accomplished.

“As a mom, I am very proud of what she is doing.  She genuinely wants to make a difference and cares,” Pfiester said.

Pfiester plans to continue advocating for the Alzheimer’s Association in the future.