May club monthly update

Anime Club – Led by John Garlick: To finish the school year, the Anime Club will be hosting their annual end of the year party at the end of May.  Japanese-imported candy and soda will be available during the event. Students are allowed to cosplay as well.

Diversity Club – Led by Keith McFarland:  On May 30, Diversity Club will have their last workshop called “Action.”

Drama Club – Led by Alyssa Hetrick and Connor Chywski:  On May 11, the Drama Club will be going on a field trip to Pittsburgh where they will see the Broadway show Newsies and stop at Dave and Buster’s.  They will also be having a couple club meetings where activities such as improv games will be available.

Friends of Rachel Club – Led by Guidance:  The Friends of Rachel Club is planning to meet with the high school in May.  They will have an end of the year pizza party and try to come up with new ideas for next year.

LEGO Club – Led by Justina McCaulley:  The LEGO Club will be having their last meeting on May 1 from 3 p.m. – 4 p.m. in the library.  Students will be given kits and general LEGO bricks to build from.

Music Department:  On Friday, May 3, there will be an eighth and ninth grade varsity chorus concert at the high school.  On Wednesday, May 29, the eighth and ninth graders in the music department will have their annual field trip to Hershey.

National Junior Honors Society – Led by John Wharton and Autumn Barry-Kyle:  In the first week of May, the NJHS will be sending out official invitations for the next group of members for the NJHS.  Ninth grade members are finalizing their community service hours and preparing for their field trip to Hershey on May 28.

Technology Student Association – Led by Lori Piper:  In April, junior high students Anastasia Barchefski, Kaylee Smith and Sofia Veneziano competed in the TSA State Competition and Leadership Conference at Seven Springs Resort from April 10 – April 13.  1,700 students from Pennsylvania competed. Barchefski placed in the top 10 for logo design, Smith placed third for essays on technology and Veneziano placed second for career preparation. Smith and Veneziano placed in the top 12 for forensic science.  Barchefski also competed in flight but did not place.

Student Council – Led by Jessica Hogan:  They started the  Mountain Lion Movers, a walking club for students and staff of AAJHS in cooperation with the Healthy Blair County Coalition and their Let’s Move Blair County Project to help get Blair County healthier.  We will walk the halls of AAJHS Monday through Thursday and report our steps to the Coalition. Next week our members have adopted a teacher and will be surprising them each day with a treat for Teacher Appreciation Week. Last we are going to hold a Penny a Pet to raise money for 2 dogs at the Central PA Humane Society who need life saving surgery.