Marissa Hewitt informs students about ATOD

Cassidy Klock

Students listen to Marissa Hewitt as she informs them about teen usage of drugs and alcohol. Hewitt talked about the dangers and what could happen if teens start to use illegal substances.

On Thursday Nov. 14, Marissa Hewitt, representing the local Alcohol Tobacco and Other Drug program, spoke at an assembly to grades seven through nine on the subject of teen use of drugs, alcohol and tobacco.

Among the topics that Hewitt discussed was what to do if someone is at a party and somebody offers a drink. 

“If you’re at a party and you don’t want to drink, have a cup of juice, soda or water in hand. If somebody asks you if you would like a drink, you can say you already have one. You could also say something about how you simply do not drink,” Hewitt said.

Hewitt also spoke about the dangers of vaping and Juuling among teens.

“One Juul pod has the same amount of nicotine in it as one 20 pack of cigarettes. Some vape companies are even making juice flavors like Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish to try to get teens addicted faster. Many kids believe that vaping is safer than smoking cigarettes when really, it is not. E-liquid is not regulated by the FDA. That means the company produces the vape juice, can put anything they want in it and not get in trouble for it,” Hewitt said 

Students who attended the assembly were also informed on the dangers of marijuana and the differences prescription and illegal drugs.

“Getting marijuana prescribed by a doctor is  safe. Not only is it FDA approved, but also the doctor will give you a proper dosage that you need to treat your pain or condition,” Hewitt said.