Musicians welcome holiday season

Mykenzie Doran

Seamus Sumac, jazz band one percussionist, prepares for his upcoming jazz band concert. On Dec. 17 they performed five joyful holiday songs.

Mykenzi Doran, Reporter

Many musicians of different kinds showed their holiday spirit in the month of December. 

On Dec 6 at 7 p.m. the varsity chorus and vocal ensemble performed. 

The varsity chorus sang seven songs. The vocal ensemble sang four holiday songs afterwards.

On Dec 10 at 7 p.m. jazz bands one and two showed their holiday spirit. Jazz band one performed five holiday songs, one of these songs being a traditional song performed every year, “Winter Wonderland” arranged by Jerry Nowak. Jazz band two performed four holiday songs based on director Kent Martins’ personal favorites. 

This was his last winter concert to conduct and he will be greatly missed by not only his students, but students and teachers from all over the organization.

“I’m really sad about it because even though I’m in orchestra, he’s a big supporter of the arts,” ninth grade violist Abigail Schienberg said.

“It’s big shoes to fill, and he will be greatly missed,” jazz band one director Kelly Meyers said. 

On Dec. 12 the seventh grade chorus and orchestra were scheduled to show their spirit, but the concert was rescheduled due to a power outage. Both groups performed at 1 p.m. the next day in the auditorium.

On Dec 17 at 7 p.m. the eighth and ninth grade orchestras showed their holiday spirit. Performing were the ninth grade quartet, eighth and ninth grade chamber orchestra, eighth and ninth grade orchestra, and eighth and ninth grade symphonic orchestras. The ninth grade quartet performed two songs, the eighth and ninth grade chamber orchestra performed four songs, the eighth and ninth orchestra performed three songs and the symphonic orchestra performed two songs.