District updates plans for food distribution, backpack program

Grab and Go Box Lunch Update

Box lunches for any child 2-18 will be available tomorrow, March 17 through Friday, March 27, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM.

The Altoona Area Jr. High School will be the main distribution site for the lunches. Lunches will be distributed from the AAJHS Field House Entrance Doors located on 7th Avenue.

Every child 18 years or younger may take one lunch. Children must be present to receive a lunch and all food must be consumed off-site.

In an effort to reach students outside the city, there will be limited off-site delivery by AASD student transportation along traditional outlying bus routes. Distribution locations and times can be found on the AASD website. Children must be present to receive a lunch.

Mountain Lion Backpack Program
The Mountain Lion BackPack Program will have weekend food bags available for elementary students enrolled in the program within the Altoona Area School District. Food bags will be available for pick up Friday, March 20 and Friday, March 27 from 5pm to 6pm at the program’s warehouse space at the corner of 29th Street and Beale Ave. Distribution will be a drive through format and the child must be present to receive the food bag. One food bag per child. If you are unable to pick up during that time, please contact the program via social media or email at [email protected] to make other arrangements.
The program is seeking food donations to help provide extra food due to the school closures. Food donations can be dropped off at the following locations: Imler’s Poultry, Duncansville; Kids First, Sheraton Drive; Greenbean Coffeehouse; Park Home, Duncansville; Ace Hardware, Duncansville; Five Star Mitsubishi; and the Altoona Grand Hotel. With large size donations, please contact the program to make arrangements for drop off at the warehouse.