NASCAR in a flash: All-Star race

Jimmie Johnson won his Fourth All-Star race last Saturday. Photo courtesy of PDA.PHOTO

Last Saturday history was made at Charlotte Motor Speedway after the Sprint All-Star race. Jimmie Johnson made history when he won his fourth Sprint All-Star race with the latest two being back to back. He beat out his teammate Jeff Gordon and the late Dale Earnhardt Sr who have three All-Star victories. This race was a winner take all race. The prize for winning this race is $1,000,000 and if he led all of the segments the winner would take home $2,000,000 in winnings. Johnson did not lead any of the segments he only led the last segment which was the one that mattered in the end to get him his fourth All-Star race win.

Jimmie Johnson won his Fourth All-Star race last Saturday.
Photo courtesy of PDA.PHOTO

With Johnson running so well on the track so far this season he could probably win his sixth Sprint Cup Championship. He outperforms almost everyone in the races and he has a comfortable 44 point lead over Carl Edwards. The most points that a driver can earn in a single race is 48. So as Darrell Waltrip was saying Johnson can take this weekend off and not get shuffled to far back in points.

They will be racing at Charlotte Motor Speedway for the Coca-Cola 600 on Sunday at six p.m. on FOX. Johnson is probably thinking about trying to expand his lead this weekend at one of his strong tracks. That way if something does go wrong like if he crashes in a future and misses the rest of that race he would have points to lay back on as a cushion keeping him still in first or second in the points.