• April 12Mini-Thon! The cost is $10 and sixth grade tickets will be sold Monday, April 15 and Tuesday, April 16 in room 212.

Cafeteria: Food Problems

This is how the main platter at a school in Sweden looks like. The school always has a full meal. Photo courtesy of Casey Lehman.
This is how the main platter at a school in Sweden looks. The school always has a full meal. Photo courtesy of Casey Lehman.

Have you ever stood in the lunch line and then got denied your lunch because there was no food left? Do not get so surprised to hear that this happens more than it should. The number of students in the school is hard to feed. Therefore, the cooks in the kitchen have to be very careful when it comes to proportioning meals.

In the this school one of the favorites to the students is the variety of choices in the lunchroom. Even though the cafeteria is a clean and fun environment, some of the students leave aggravated from not getting their favorite main platter. The cafeteria tends to run out of the main meal by the time the ninth graders get there to eat. They try their hardest to proportion the main platter, but sometimes it gets hard with the number of students in the building.

Since the ninth graders are the very last to eat, they get the last of the food. This is unfortunate because when they are working up an appetite they start looking forward to lunch. Then they get to lunch and they find out they are unable to get the meal that they were daydreaming about instead of paying attention to the class work they were doing.

The cafeteria workers should increase the amount of food that they order based on the popularity of the meal. Although they already do this they should take into consideration the differences in eating appetites from last year’s records to this year’s.