Length, straps on social dresses causes problems

This is an example of a knee length dress that couldve been worn to social. Photo courtesy of Avivi J.
This is an example of a knee length dress that could’ve been worn to social. Photo courtesy of Avivi J.

On May 26, the ninth grade social is going to take place. It  lasts from 7:30 pm. to 9:30 pm. Tickets cost $10.00. There will be pizza, cake and snacks served that night.There are some rules that apply to the social. The rules are only Altoona students may attend, no limos are permitted, no corsages are permitted and dresses must be knee length. The rule concerning the length of the dresses is bothersome compared to the fact that the dresses can be strapless.

First, the dresses the girls wear to social must be knee length. I can understand that, except for the fact that they can be strapless. It doesn’t make much sense that the dresses can expose the shoulders and other areas but the dress must reach the knees. The knees aren’t an area that people are going to be looking at compared to the shoulders. It just doesn’t make sense.

Next, dresses that reach the knee area are hard to find. Most dresses in the stores are about one to two inches above knee length. The dresses come with optional straps. This proves that dresses can have straps. It also proves that unless someone has time and money to go around looking for a longer dress, the dresses worn to social should be allowed to be a little  bit above knee length.

Hopefully sometime in the future the dresses worn to social will have an inch or two allowance of length.