Announcements for Wednesday, Oct. 26.

(10/24-11/2) Attention Students:  The library is hosting its monthly Lego Club meeting on Wednesday, November 2nd from 2:45-3:30.  Please take note of the time change and be sure to have your ride home here by 3:30.  Again, Lego Club will meet until 3:30 from now on.  If you are interested in joining this month, please sign up in the library before Nov. 2.  You must sign up monthly to participate.  Any questions, please see Mrs. McCaulley in the library.

(10/24-10/26) HELLO ALL KIND PEOPLE ! We have begun the Friends of Rachel Chains of Kindness project for this year. To celebrate kindness please ask a teacher for a chain link, write down a kind thing that you did for someone or a kindness that has been done for you. Return the completed link to your teacher. Members of the FOR club will be collecting your links and building kindness chains on the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade floors. Let’s set a goal to make those chains travel all the way around each floor. That is a lot of kindness, but you are some incredibly kind people. Just write about it on a link and return to a teacher.

(10/26) In a remote period of American History…North of what we know now as New York City… Along the eastern shores of the Hudson River… There was a tiny village known as Tarry Town. And not far from this village…Perhaps about three miles…There is a little valley which is one of the quietest places in the whole world…This tiny village has long been called by the Dutch settlers who live there as…Sleepy Hollow. The Altoona Area Junior High School Drama Club is proud to present the spooky classic – The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Written by Washington Irving and adapted by Kathryn Shultz Miller, Sleepy Hollow is loaded with all the thrills, chills and laughs to keep you on the edge of your seats. Performances are scheduled for 7 p.m. on both Thursday, November 3, 2022 and Friday, November 4, 2022 with a matinee show at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, November 5, 2022.  All performances will take place in the Altoona Area Junior High School Auditorium. General admission tickets will only be on sale at the door and will cost $8 for adults and $5 for students. Doors open approximately 1/2 hour before each show. We hope to see you there!

(10/26) Attention all 7th and 8th grade girls interested in trying out for basketball this year… Physicals are tomorrow in the gym right after school. You must have the physical paperwork packet completely filled out and brought with you… If you need a packet, please come to Coach Bailor’s room, Room 471, and get one.

(10/25-10/27) Attention 8th graders who applied to be members of the 8th Grade Class Committee…Please check your email for details about our first meeting that will be held next week.  Check your email and ask Mrs. Bronson or Ms. Wilson if you have any questions.

(10/24-11/3) Students, this week the Sharing for the Holidays committee will begin their annual Veterans Day collection competition. All monies raised will go to our retired veterans living at the Hollidaysburg VA Home. Bring in spare change to your first period homeroom from Monday, October 24th through Friday, November 4th. The three highest-collecting homerooms for each grade level will receive a movie reward in the auditorium. The highest-raising homeroom from each grade level will receive the extra prize of a Dunkin’ Donuts breakfast! 

(10/25 & 10/26) Boys and Girls Soccer Players, there has been a change to Wednesday’s plan.  You WILL still be turning in your Soccer Uniform on Wednesday in the locker rooms immediately after school, BUT there will be NO pizza party due to the practice field not being available.  We will see you on Wednesday for uniform turn in!

(10/25-10/27) Physicals for boys basketball for 7th and 8th grade is Thursday October 27 at 3:00pm in the gymnasium.  Please bring your completed physical packet with you to physicals. 

(10/26) In cross country action on Monday, both the boys and girls had top ten finishes in the Blair County meet!  For the boys, Chase Van Egdom placed 5th and Xander Frederick took 2nd place.  Seth Lieb placed 1st and broke the Altoona record with a time of 8 minutes and 25 seconds!  The girls’ team, also, had a fantastic day with Gianna Fiore placing 6th, Lana Luke placing 3rd and Ashlyn Noce taking it all with 1st place!  Congratulations on finishing the season strong!

(10/26)  Attention students:  Here is a riddle:  I can travel the entire world while staying in the corner.  What am I?  If you like puzzles and riddles and the 24 game, come to our Mathcounts meeting Wednesday after school from 2:45 until 3:30.  Please see Mrs. Abbott in C275 for details or email.  (Answer:  A stamp)

(10/26) Happy Red Ribbon Week!  This year’s theme is Celebrate Life. Live Drug Free. Staying drug free means investing in your current and future health.  You don’t have to use drugs to fit in.  There are other ways to belong.  Celebrate your uniqueness and show it to the world. And a shout out to those who wore something wacky today!  Thanks for celebrating your uniqueness.  

Tomorrow’s theme is Team Up Against Drugs.  Be sure to wear your favorite sports team to show you celebrate life drug free    

(10/26 – 10/28) There will be Non-Mandatory Open Mats for all athletes planning on wrestling this season beginning on Monday October 31st right after school in the Mat Room.  Will end approximately 4:30 pm.  Open Mats will be every Monday and Wednesday leading up to the season.