” ’98 Braves” To Volleyball

Lydia Schimansky
Bang! Eighth grade right side hitter Harley Prough and Eighth grader middle attacker Ava Miller smile at the camera. Miller and Prough played in the last volleyball game. Miller said, “Yes, the last game took a toll on all of us but doesn’t make any of our less effective to us.”

The  Lady Spikers had a great season with very few losses. But, in the last game of the season, something unexpected happened. Both A and B teams lost to opponents they beat early on in the season. That loss stung the players and took a toll on how the players felt about the entire season. 

Eighth grader Ava Miller said, “It could of ended better, but we had so many great wins it made up for it.”

Miller made sure not to let the loss get to her. The loss had a lot in common with the popular Morgan Wallen song called, ” ’98 Braves.” The song was about how the baseball team lost to the Padres in 1998  when everybody thought they were going to win. 

In the song Wallen says, “Yeah, You win some, you lose some. It ain’t always home runs. And that’s just the way life plays.”

That song related to the girls loss even though they weren’t victorious the last game. Throughout the season, they still had some outstanding victories. One memorable win being a tournament win at Spring Cove. 

Eighth grade volleyball player Harley Prough said, “Yeah, the last game hurt and stung a little bit.”

Morgan Wallen’s song gave a lesson on how you never know what is going to happen, so don’t assume and give half effort. Always give your all to receive what you want. But, at the end of the day, you can’t be upset.

The team is very proud of what they achieved this season. This loss didn’t define their season.

Morgan Wallen’s song helped the girls understand a life lesson: even though you didn’t win your last game or a game you thought you were going to win, don’t let that it effect your volleyball career. 

“Yea, you win some, you lose some. It ain’t always home runs. And that’s the way life plays. If we were a team and love was a game. We’d have been the ’98 Braves. ’98 Braves.”