Healthy vs. Unhealthy Relationships

Loving+connection.+Healthy+relationships+show+positive+connections.+In+a+healthy+relationship%2C+you+need+to+talk+openly%2C+trust+each+other+and+offer+support.+All+of+those+things+work+together+as+a+whole%2C+so+people+can+have+non-toxic+relationships.+
Andie Kephart
Loving connection. Healthy relationships show positive connections. In a healthy relationship, you need to talk openly, trust each other and offer support. All of those things work together as a whole, so people can have non-toxic relationships.

When people think of the word “relationship,” they usually think of a connection. Your relationships could be with a family member, romantic partner or a friend. However, some relationships may be hurtful to the heart, and even considered toxic. Having a healthy relationship is the key to success in connections. 

Healthy relationships are built on trust, communication, respect and support. Without these things, your relationship will not survive. Think of a relationship as a house: you first need a good foundation. Building the relationship on communication will help it grow. If both people talk and communicate with each other, less fights and arguments will occur. When you don’t talk through issues, it continues to escalate and that leads to people breaking apart. 

Walls are important to building a house. As in a relationship, support, trust and respect are all walls needed for the house. Support is important because it encourages emotional connections, helps partners navigate challenges together and creates a sense of safety and understanding. 

Trust forms effective communication and a sense of security. It allows both people to feel confident in each other, encouraging a stable supportive connection. 

Respect is vital in a healthy relationship. It acknowledges each person’s individual boundaries and feelings. It creates a positive atmosphere, promotes open communication and contributes to a strong foundation of mutual understanding and support. 

The roof is the final part of a house. It provides protection from the environment. In this case we can look at the environment as other people judging or disagreeing. The roof is the bond between the two people that is unbroken and will stay together no matter what the “environment” throws at them. 

However, there are also unhealthy relationships. Think of these as collapsing houses. Usually these houses start with bad foundations, loosely built walls and an unstable roof.  

Toxic Connections. Unhealthy relationships can affect our well-being. They are characterized by communication breakdown, lack of trust, disrespect and absence of support. Eight grader Jenna Weyant said, “The negative effects of an unhealthy relationship is that you feel like you’re not good enough or you can’t express your feelings out loud to anyone.” (Andie Kephart)

Unhealthy relationships are characterized by patterns of negative behaviors, such as lack of communication, disrespect, control, manipulation, emotional or physical abuse and a general sense of unhappiness or toxicity. It often involves an imbalance of power and does not contribute positively to the well-being of individuals involved. 

When I think of examples of a unhealthy relationship, I think of the movie, “Twilight.” It has been criticized for portraying an unhealthy relationship between Bella and Edward. Some argue it glorifies controlling behavior, obsession and lack of personal boundaries, which can send problematic messages about what constitutes a healthy relationship.

In the movie, Edward’s overprotecting nature and controlling tendencies are apparent. Such as him frequently making decisions for Bella without her input. At the end of this, the idea of Bella sacrificing her own well-being for the relationship can be seen as problematic, as it undermines the importance of individuality independence and personal growth in a healthy partnership. 

Being in an unhealthy relationship can have effects on your metal health. It can lead to stress, anxiety, low self-esteem and insecurities. They often delay personal growth and happiness, making it challenging to thrive both individually and as a couple.

It’s important to prioritize one’s health and seek support or make changes if a relationship is constantly negative. Being in an unhealthy relationship is similar to being immersed in a situation that is harmful or adverse to one’s overall well-being.