• April 26Lunch - Garlic Pizza Griller w/Sauce, Mixed Vegetables, Romaine Salad and Choice of Fruit and Milk!

New Heroes of Olympus book lives up to expectations

Author Rick Riordan has done it again. His newest book in the Heroes of Olympus series, The House of Hades, made a splash when it hit bookstore shelves Oct. 8. Greatly anticipated by Riordan’s fans, this book has certainly lived up to its expectations.

This story takes the audience through the Italian countryside as six teenagers, children of the mythological Greek and Roman gods, attempt to reach the Doors of Death, which allow monsters to pass into the mortal world from the Underworld. Readers also follow the story of Percy, son of Poseidon, and Annabeth, daughter of Athena, as they struggle through Tartarus, the deepest and most horrible part of the Underworld, in an attempt to reach the other side of the Doors of Death. If these tasks did not seem arduous enough, Percy and Annabeth must arrive at the Doors at the exact same time as their friends in order to escape from Tartarus and stop the monsters from entering the mortal world. Will they survive? Only the book can answer that question.

Along with conquering unearthly foes and saving the world as they know it, the eight main characters, seven of whom tell the story from their own perspectives, also struggle with many of the same issues that normal teenagers have to deal with. In this way, the characters seem to come alive, and readers have the ability to connect with the story on a personal level. The vivid descriptions and emotions of the characters seem to jump off of the page, allowing the audience to share in the excitement, pain, and hardship of the eight demigods as they struggle to not only defeat their enemies, but to come to terms with themselves.

Packed with action, adventure, and monster fighting, The House of Hades, is a must-read for anyone interested in Greek and Roman mythology, containing 597 pages of pure enjoyment. Published by Disney-Hyperion, this hardcover book falls within the affordable price range of $10 to $20, depending upon the place of purchase.

Compared to Riordan’s other works, The House of Hades takes home the first-place trophy. Although similar themes are seen throughout all of Riordan’s works, The House of Hades seems to differentiate itself from his other books, yet still manages to possess that same sense of spirit and adventure found in all of his stories. The House of Hades, the fourth book in the Heroes of Olympus series, features an incredible plot, larger-than-life characters, and an ending that will leave readers biting their nails in suspense. In all, this book is a fantastic read; one that people of all ages will surely enjoy.

images
Photo courtesy of http://www.rickriordan.com