Festive Treat

New Years Treat

~A dish to try on a holiday or a special/certain occasion~

New Years Eve is coming up, the time where the biggest parties come up to celebrate the new year. Everyone gets together at a certain place to eat, drink and watch the ball drop in New York. Going to a party without something to bring won’t be a problem this year.

Many people this year will try to keep their New Years Eve night a little bit healthier than the previous years.  The perfect treat to have would be something that taste delicious without knowing it’s actually healthy for the body.  The perfect treat to bring would be Blueberry and White Chocolate Chunk Ginger Cookies.  They’re only 115 calories per cookie and four grams of fat.   They take approximately 35 minutes to make and bake and makes about two dozen cookies. Make them at most two days before New Years Eve so they are fresh on New Years Eve still.  They can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days or in the freezer for up to a month.  They taste amazing and hard to believe they are healthy for the body.

Ingredients:

-1 cup all-purpose flour

-1/4 cup wheat germ

-1/2 teaspoon baking soda

-1/2 teaspoon salt

-1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

-1 large egg

-3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar

-1/3 cup canola oil

-1 teaspoon vanilla extract

-1/2 cup oats, quick-cooking or old-fashioned (not instant)

-2 ounces white chocolate, chopped

-1/3 cup dried blueberries

-1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped

Directions:

1. Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 375°F.

2. Whisk flour, wheat germ, baking soda, salt and ground ginger in a small bowl. Whisk egg, brown sugar, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients; stir to combine. Add oats, chocolate, blueberries and crystallized ginger; stir just to combine. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto 2 ungreased baking sheets, 1 1/2 inches apart.

3. Bake the cookies until puffed and barely golden around the edges, switching the pans back to front and top to bottom halfway through, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on the pans for 2 minutes; transfer to wire rack to cool completely.