Festive Treat

Photo by: April Leandri

~A dish to try on a holiday or a special/certain occasion~

There have been a lot of delays and now there are starting to be cancellations.  Being indoors and not being able to go outside because it’s too cold can be boring so why not bake something?  It could take up part of the day and wouldn’t be boring.  Try baking Peanut Butter Toffee Bars.  They fit in with the winter season.They take about two hours and 30 minutes to make but this includes cooling time.  It only requires twenty minutes hand on activity.  For maximum freshness, store the bars in the refrigerator.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 large egg yolk

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup quick oats

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 cups dark or semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup toffee baking pieces

Directions:

1. Heat the oven to 350°. Line a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with foil so that the ends extend over the edges of the pan by at least 2 inches.

2. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter, peanut butter, sugar, and egg yolk on medium-high speed until the mixture is smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Add the flour, oats, and salt and beat the mixture on low until the ingredients are just blended, about 30 seconds.

3. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake the crust until it is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes (be careful not to overbake).

4. Remove the pan from the oven and scatter the chocolate chips evenly over the crust. Return the pan to the oven for 1 minute. Remove the pan again and, using a small offset spatula, spread the chocolate evenly over the crust.  Sprinkle the toffee pieces over the chocolate, gently pressing them into place.

5. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool until the chocolate has set, about 2 hours. Using the edges of the foil, lift the dessert from the pan, then cut it into rectangles.

Photo by: April Leandri
Photo by April Leandri