Winter temperatures, weather disrupt schedules

altoonalogo_1Temperatures have been very low lately; it has even been in the negatives. Students watch the forecast and hope to have a delay the next day. There have been a few delays and cancellations this year but not as many as there should have been. Many conditions can occur from the freezing weather.

Frostbite is a serious condition in which skin is damaged by extremely cold weather. The most common areas affected by frostbite are the toes, fingers and the nose. Frostbite can occur in 32 degree Fahrenheit temperature, according to health.usnews.com. Many times this winter students have been sent to school in the freezing cold. On Jan. 27, temperatures reached -4 degrees below 0, and Altoona wasn’t even delayed.

Some kids who are not fortunate enough to ride a bus have to walk up to two miles to reach school. Students who have to walk up to two miles, could spend up to an hour walking. That is a lot to walk in the freezing cold. Imagine having to walk up an icy hill. That sound like any fun?

There may be the argument that teachers and students do not want to make up school at the end of the year. People begin to plan vacations starting in June and often plane tickets or hotel reservations are non-refundable. Health should also be considered. It is more important for students to stay healthy than to go on vacation.

Students should not be subjected to the extreme cold and be forced to come to school. Health issues may occur.