Security concerns remain top priority

Picture by Madison James
Picasa
Mr. Johnston is the new security guard. He replaced Mr. Peffer has he went to the high school
Picture by Madison James
Mr. Johnston is the new security guard. He replaced Mr. Pfeffer as he went to the high school

Schools across the nation now have frequent checks for drugs and other illegal items.  Throughout the years student safety has been questioned when other schools have been corrupted by these harmful things. This has caused more strict security among the school districts in the country.  Controversy has erupted lately due to the fact that some believe it contradicts the fourth amendment rights for student security checks.

FERPA is an abbreviation for the bill or law known as Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.  It covers many different topics concerning the student population and today is a big concern.  The act covers health safety emergencies, student records and other information that affects the parent guardian of the student.  This act began in 1974 and was said by the U.S. Department of Education that it prohibits the improper disclosure of personally identifiable information derived from education records.

Students should be able to give any information asked of them.  This is because daily over thousands of teens talk out about their personal lives through multiple social media sites.  If letting school authorities know a little about what someone is carrying in their bag, then give them the reassurance that they are not hazardous to others around them.   Also, when school’s have security cameras they are looking out for the safety of the student population.

” If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.” This quote says it all.  Students should let the school district take any precautions needed to help benefit the safety of others.