Preparation for Sweetheart Dance begins

This is an example of a dress that follows the rules of the Code of Conduct.

February is also commonly known as the month of love. That is one of the reasons the Sweetheart Dance is held for the freshmen at the school during this month.

The date of the annual Sweetheart Dance is Friday, Feb. 20. It will begin at 7:30 and run until 9:30 PM.

The usual date of the dance is the week before Valentine’s Day, but there is a basketball game on that date this year.

The dance is for ninth graders from AAJHS only. Students on current probation, that have five demerits, and/or on extracurricular probation at the time of the dance are not permitted to attend. Also, any student that owes a fine will not be able to attend the dance.

The student ID must be present with every student to attend.

Members of the committee sell the tickets. Tickets will go on sale starting Wednesday, February 19 for students with the last name starting with A-K. On Thursday, Feb. 19, students with the last name starting with L-Z. The makeup day to buy tickets is Friday, Feb. 20. They will be sold on the first floor near the auditorium from 7:25-7:45. The tickets will cost $5.00 and will not be sold at the door.

Soda and snacks will be served that night. No limousines or flowers/corsages are permitted at the dance.

The dress code is casual formal. Males should wear a dress shirt and pants. Female dresses can be long or short, with or without straps. The length of the dress must follow the Student Code of Conduct.This means they must reach approximately the knee area.

Stephanie McAleer, who runs the dance, said that her favorite part of the dance is working with Mrs. Klausman and seeing the students get so excited.