Rachel’s Challenge spreads kindness through school

Let's Paint!
Two student's that are a part of the Friends of Rachel Club paint hearts on the cafeteria windows. They were trying to spread kindness.

Let's Paint! Two student's that are a part of the Friends of Rachel Club paint hearts on the cafeteria windows. They were trying to spread kindness.

Destiny Montgomery, Reporter

Let’s Paint! Two student’s that are a part of the Friends of Rachel Club paint hearts on the cafeteria windows. They were trying to spread kindness.

So Many Members Seven members of the FOR club write motivational quotes on the windows. They wanted students to feel happy when reading those.

Hand Prints! Madison Adelsberger, Megan Pensyl, and one other FOR club member put their hand prints on the cafeteria window. They marked their membership of the FOR club.

The Rachel’s Challenge program started this school year after faculty members became interested in it and wanted to spread kindness throughout the school.

According to seventh grade English teacher Angela Baughman, Rachel’s Challenge started about 20 years ago by Rachel Scott’s father. It happened as a result of Rachel’s death. She was the first victim in the Massacre at Columbine High School in 1999. Rachel had a paper called “My Code of Ethics.” It dealt with starting a chain reaction of kindness.

Baughman is one of the main advisers of the Friends of Rachel club (FOR).

“Rachel’s Challenge grew from a local movement, into a worldwide program. It has been incorporated into schools and communities all over the world,” Baughman said.

The FOR club meets weekly and anyone is free to join. Ninth grader Olivia Dale is a part of the club.

“It shows that we need to stay true to who we are and that we can start that kindness,” Dale said.

All students who join are expected to be positive role models during the school day to other students.

In the beginning of the year, faculty held an assembly that led to the school taking part in the club after seeing students’ interest.

“I think so far we are making a little ripple. I think students are more aware of being kind. I must say, so far this year, there don’t seem to be as many incidents of students being unkind to each other. Not that it never happens, but there don’t seem to be as many,” Baughman said.

“Students have just realized that we need to be kind to others,” Dale said.

The club will be holding more events this year.

“We will be doing more high five welcomes because that went over very well. Faculty and students enjoyed it. It was a good way to start the day,” Baughman said.

The students painted windows with motivational quotes on Oct. 22. Another Rachel’s Challenge assembly will take place by the end of the school year.

About the Writer
Destiny Montgomery, Reporter

¡Hola! My name is Destiny Montgomery, and I am a freshman at the Altoona Area Junior High School. I have been twirling a baton since I was six years old. I joined junior varsity majorettes in seventh grade. I am currently in Varsity Majorettes. I twirl at football games with the silk corps and the band. I also participate in varsity chorus. The Greatest Showman is my favorite movie. My favorite quote is also from that movie. P.T Barnum says, “No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” I love writing. English has been my favorite subject for years now. When I get a narrative writing prompt, creativity flows through my brain. This is my first year doing Livewire, and I wish to continue with my writing abilities. My dream is to go to Penn State University and become a child psychologist. I enjoy taking pictures with my Dad, who is a photographer. Besides my phone number, you now know all about me!

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Rachel’s Challenge spreads kindness through school”

1. Savannah Blazer on October 29th, 2018 10:33 am

I loved your story. It makes me want to start a chain reaction.

2. Marissa Kessler on October 29th, 2018 2:22 pm

Fantastic job! This piece covers great information about the event (which was similar to ours!), and the input that you received was a great attribution!

3. Robert Ferrell on October 29th, 2018 2:28 pm

This is a great story that focuses on a very sensitive and touching story/assembly that can and will change the way some students act and react.

• Rachel’s Challenge spreads kindness through school

Feature Stories

Drama club presents Goldilocks on Trial

Feature Stories

New junior high teachers join faculty

Feature Stories

Harvest Day moves to Mansion Park

Feature Stories

Students support spirit week

Feature Stories

Construction of new building has minimum impact

Feature Stories

Ninth grade honors students go on trial

Feature Stories

School year ends with recess days from May 24-31

Feature Stories

School hosts final game night for year

Feature Stories

Students end final marking period

Feature Stories

Escape room challenges students