Anime club returns

Ninth grade student Kyra Bailey sports a picture of anime character Hatsune Miku  on her lanyard. Bailey did this to honor the first club meeting.
Photo by- Joanne Pringle
Ninth grade student Kyra Bailey sports a picture of anime character Hatsune Miku on her lanyard. Bailey did this to honor the first club meeting. Photo by- Joanne Pringle
Ninth grade student Kyra Bailey sports a picture of anime character Hatsune Miku  on her lanyard. Bailey did this to honor the first club meeting. Photo by- Joanne Pringle
Ninth grade student Kyra Bailey sports a picture of anime character Hatsune Miku on her lanyard. Bailey did this to honor the first club meeting.
Photo by Joanne Pringle

Anime club is coming back to the school. The club was scheduled to start earlier in the year but it never happened.

“Due to a misunderstanding about what the club was about, the school did not allow the club to start earlier,”  adviser John Garlick said.

Garlick is the teacher that holds the meeting for the club. The idea for the club was actually brought up by a student.

“It was actually proposed by a student named Hannah Dockerty,” Garlick said.

Getting the club was not easy at all.

“We had to fight to get the school to allow it and be careful about what we bring in and show in the club,” Garlick said. “Making sure everything we bring in or discuss is school appropriate,” Garlick said.

The club held its first meeting on Feb. 6, in room 351 on the eighth grade floor. The turnout for the first meeting had almost thirty students.

“I came to the meeting because I enjoy Japanese culture,” ninth grader Elizabeth Schwartz said.

“What interests me about anime is there’s a lot of different kinds of anime, but they are still entertaining,” Schwartz said.

Anime is actually a Japanese style of drawing. These kinds of drawings can be found in shows like Dragonball Z and Naruto.

“Anime club has to do with just about all things anime like drawing, playing cards and discussing anime, I am taking suggestions like a costume party,” Garlick said.

The anime club is held their second meeting on Thursday Feb. 27.

“ I will be attending the second meeting,” ninth grader Abby Arthurs said.

“What I like about  anime is the art style and how they express themselves,”  Arthurs said.