• April 12Mini-Thon! The cost is $10 and sixth grade tickets will be sold Monday, April 15 and Tuesday, April 16 in room 212.

Athlete of the week

Athlete of the week Jasmine Voncolln

Jasmine Voncolln was asked several questions about her years of being an athlete in several different sports.

Q: What sports do you play and why?

A: “ I play basketball, tennis and I run track and field,” Jasmine Voncolln said.

Q: What are all of your accomplishments in all the sports you participate in?

A: “ Starting with track I have won two first place medals, a third place medal and two fourth place ribbons. My eighth grade team and I placed first in the Altoona Relay. In basketball my ninth grade team won the JMC tournament and the Bishop Guilfoyle tournament. In tennis it’s my first year and I havent had a lot to acccomplish yet ,” Volcolln said.

Q: What is your biggest challenge, and what do you do to manage this challenge?

A: “ My biggest challenge was my hip structure. It was an injury I got last year during the track season. There is nothing I can really do excect stretch it out and work through the pain until my growth plate grows closed,” Voncolln said.

Q: What was the best advice you were ever given?

A: “ The best advice I have received was last year during my eighth grade track meet. I was worried about running poorly and making my coach upset. He told me to run for myself not him,” Voncolln said.

Q: What are your future goals? What would you like to be when you graduate high school? What school do you want to go to?

A: “ My future goals are to keep my grades up and continue to excel in my sports. Whenever I am older, I want to be a pediatrician. I’m not sure what college I want to go to right now, but if I had to choose I want to go to Duke University,” Voncolln said.

Q: What is your favorite movie? Why?

A: “ My favorite movie is Aquamarine because I’ve grown up watching that movie with my sister and it used to be something we would watch all the time. It brings back a lot of great times and memories,” Voncolln said.

Q: Out of the sports you play, which one is your favorite and why?

A: “ Out of all my sports I would say basketball is my favorite sport because while I’m on the court, I am out there with my team and they help me get through everything. They depend on me to do my job on the court. In track we may have relays, but it’s still an independent sport. As well as tennis,” Voncolln said.

Q: What is the strangest or funniest thing you have seen throughout your years of being an athlete?

A: “ The funniest thing I have seen while being an athlete would be in seventh or eighth grade during a track meet when a teammate was running a 400 and their legs went over their head and their chin was kind of stuck in the ground,” Voncolln said.

Q: What is your favorite memory ever from being an athlete?

A: “ My favorite memory from being an athlete was in eighth grade when my track team won the relays, and we ran one lap around the track for a victory lap and got pictures taken on the podiums,” Voncolln said.

Q: What are your favorite things to do outside of school?

A: “ My favorite things to do outside of school are hanging out and enjoying my friends and families. I like to go to the movies and mall and do fun things like that with them,” Voncolln said.