Ninth grade football season comes to end

At the end of one of the teams game players huddle together after a post-game talk with the coaches. At the end of every game players would meet and talk with coaches as a group about the game. Photo by Mikayla Billotte

The lights shine down on the field. The clock on the scoreboard counts down the final minute of the fourth quarter of the game. Sweat drips down the players’ faces. In the background the crowd cheers them on. The play begins.

Players are running around and getting tackled left and right, with one final attempt by the opposing team to score they are stopped. Finally,  the buzzer sounds and the clock reaches zero. They have won the game.

The crowd cheers loudly and the crowd cheers while the band plays in the background. The team has beat yet another team and are closer to the end of the season. But this year’s 2014 ninth grade season has officially come to an end.  The final game for the ninth grade football players occurred at Woodland Hills at the well known Wolvarena

Players run into the locker room during half time to talk with coaches and get water. During halftime the marching band would preform songs such as "Manhattan Beach", "Wipeout", "Love Me Do" and "Oh Sherrie". Photo by Mikayla Billotte
Players run into the locker room during half time to talk with coaches and get water. During halftime the marching band would perform songs such as “Manhattan Beach”, “Wipeout”, “Love Me Do” and “Oh Sherrie.” Photo by Mikayla Billotte

“It was a great season, and I’m sad to see it end. It was really fun getting to play this year and as a team we did really well; however, I’m excited for next year to play for the high school, but it’s nice to get a break from practices,” ninth grade football player Max Sankey(#12) said.

Sankey(#12) Runs to score a touchdown at the end of the second quarter during the game against Indiana. The game took place in August and is one of several where Sankey scored for the team. Photo by Mason Ford
Sankey(#12) runs to score a touchdown at the end of the second quarter during the game against Indiana. The game took place in August and is one of several where Sankey scored for the team. Photo by Mason Ford

“It was a great experience, and we started well. We also shut them out defensively, and the only score from them was on an interception. It was a very nice game,” Head Coach Damon Luciano said.

The team concluded their season with a win against Woodland Hills on Oct. 23 2014 and was a highlight for several players.

“A highlight for me was getting to beat Woodland Hills at their stadium and ending with a win,” ninth grader Christopher Wray(#82) said.

“Getting to beat Woodland Hills when we started thinking we wouldn’t win. It was a big accomplishment, we fought hard and played very well,” Sankey  said.

The game occurred on Oct. 23 2014 at Woodland Hills and added a win to the teams record making it a final 7 wins and 2 losses. They started out the season with a win and concluded it as well, with a win.

“The season may have ended, but I am excited for next year, the competition will be harder, and I’m ready to play again,” ninth grade player Bruce Snyder(#50) said.

Next year the boys who continue to play football will move on to play at the Altoona Area High School as incoming sophomores.

Coach Luciano stands on the sidelines watching the game and the players on the field. Coaches and the rest of the team would stand on the sidelines to watch as well as cheer on fellow players. Photo by Mikayla Billotte

“They will have to work hard next year, it’s a whole another level of football at the high school and the competition will be harder, but they should do good next year,”  Coach Luciano said.

Last year in eighth grade as well as seventh there were two separate teams and this year as ninth graders the football teams join to form one ninth grade  team.

” It was a very enjoyable season, we had a great group of kids and they played very well and got along well.” Assistant football coach John Chesney said.

“Last year was harder because of the two separate teams, but this year as one team we did a lot better and got a lot more wins,” Snyder said

“There isn’t much that needed improved on the team, they played well together and had to overcome some small challenges dealing with adversity this year, but the team was very comparable to last year. We ended up with the same record as last year so it was a great season,” Coach Luciano said.

The season has come to an end however some are ready for next year’s season to begin.

“I am already ready for next year. To see what it is like and how well I do and to be able to help the team in anyway,” Sankey said.

“I am definitely ready to coach football next year, I haven’t had a chance to see what the current eighth grade teams are like because we practiced everyday after school, but I am ready for another season,” Coach Luciano said.

The team concludes their 2014 fall ninth grade football season and  ninth grade  players await the start of next years season playing for the high school while incoming ninth graders prepare to join as one team and bring home more wins for the junior high.

Team member Sankey(#12) huddle together during a time out in the middle of the game. The team met together during times outs several times during the season. Photo by Mikayla Billotte

“We fought hard during our games and maybe made a few minor mistakes. We ended the season on a great note,” Sankey said.

“I wouldn’t change anything about this season, I had lots of fun. I am sad about it all ending, but I am ready to play for the high school,” Wray said.