Vocal ensemble’s holiday tour entertains kids

Morgan Hinish and Sylvia Lombardo posed together for a picture.  The two are in vocal ensemble.  Photo by Arian Savoy.
Morgan Hinish and Sylvia Lombardo posed together for a picture. The two are in vocal ensemble. Photo by Arian Savoy.
Morgan Hinish poses for a picture. Hinish has been in vocal ensemble for two years. Photo by Arian Savoy.

Sylvia Lombardo poses for a picture. She is a cheerleader for the maroon squad and she has been in vocal ensemble for one year. Photo by Arian Savoy.

Vocal Ensemble continues to prepare for future performances after their holiday tour.  The students visited a few schools before the holiday break.  This is an annual event that has occurred for many years.

There is a lot of difference in the students, but they all come together to sing.  There are 27 students in the vocal ensemble this year.

“The holiday tours have been going on for many, many years,” vocal ensemble leader Jessica Connell said.

“We went to Logan, Ebner and Wright,” ninth grader Morgan Hinish said.

Vocal ensemble prepared for the holiday tour performance.

“We practiced every Wednesday after school for an hour, and we had to practice with the C.D. by ourselves,” ninth grader Sylvia Lombardo said.

The vocal ensemble sang a large variety of Christmas carols on their holiday tour.

“‘Joy to the World,’ ‘Merry Christmas Merry Christmas,’ ‘Hanukkah Tonight’ and ‘Seasons of Love’,” Connell said.

Vocal ensemble is preparing for their next quickly approaching events, the county chorus, a few more performances, and their spring concert.

“Right now, we are getting ready to go to county chorus, which is a bunch of schools coming together to sing the same songs,” Hinish said.

“There is County Chorus in March at Tyrone Area Middle School, a performance for Team Altoona in Apr., sixth grade orientation performances, a performance at the Arts Festival and the spring concert on May 7.  The sixth grade orientation performances and the performance at the Arts Festival are all occurring in May,” Connell said.

The holiday tour and the Barnes and Noble book fair were similar in performance, but they were also very different.

“Well, it’s the same in the fact that we sang the same songs, but on the tour we had speakers and microphones and all that good stuff,” Hinish said.

Hinish is a student that has been in vocal ensemble both years that she could.  Lombardo has only been in vocal ensemble for her ninth grade year.

“I think that everyone in vocal ensemble is a very unique individual,” Hinish said.

“They are very nice, and we all get along very well together,” Lombardo said.

Hinish and Lombardo both agreed that this group helps make lifelong friends.

“It is something we all enjoy, and we can continue on with each other,” Lombardo said.

“Last year in vocal ensemble, I met a lot of new people who I am sure I will stay friends with forever, but this year I knew mostly everyone already coming into it,” Hinish said.

Connell agreed with Hinish and Lombardo that this group is very good together.

“It’s a strong group of talented singers.  The vocal ensemble becomes so close, it is like a family because they work together so much,” Connell said.