Picture Perfect

Picture+Perfect

For their final benchmark project, ninth grade students in Alyssa Hetrick’s drama class are creating their own musicals.  Students were given a set of guidelines to follow, but the options for their musicals were endless, ranging from a new Grease musical to fictional stories of their favorite bands.  A few members of the drama class shared the playbills for their musicals.

The drama class has been doing the musical project for years, and the students seem to enjoy the project.  Students will be creating their own Weebly site for their musical, creating scripts, casting characters and choosing songs to include in the project.

Part of the students’ assignment is to create what is known as a playbill.  These are posters that announce some type of performance.  Everyone was given a blank template to base their playbills off of, but they were free to design them as they pleased.

As students begin their project, they are given this simple template for their musical's playbill.  From there, students were given the freedom to include whatever images, texts or people to their playbill.
As students begin their project, they are given this simple template for their musical’s playbill. From there, students were given the freedom to include whatever images, texts or people to their playbill.
Ninth graders Mason Stumpf, Gabriella Petarcha and Ethan Katcher work on their musical, "Rated T for Terrible."  Students have spent the past three weeks working on their musicals and will continue throughout the rest of the year.
Ninth graders Mason Stumpf, Gabriella Petarcha and Ethan Katcher work on their musical, “Rated T for Terrible.” Students have spent the past three weeks working on their musicals and will continue throughout the rest of the year.
Students Brycen Leberfinger and Isaac Kormanski create their musical, “The Italian Pizza Man.” Leberfinger and Kormanski made sure to cast their favorite actors for the rules throughout the musical.
Ninth grader Ava Kline creates her musical, “Lost in Las Vegas.” All students had the opportunity to create their own playbills, and they each had their own unique theme.
Ninth graders Hunter Weidlich and Jacob Wilt work on “the Story of Marty and Teddy Graham.” Wilt and Weidlich spent the past few weeks working on their musical’s synopsis and writing the scripts for their actors.

Ninth grade student Maura Skelley works on her musical, “Grease 1 and 1/2”. Skelley’s musical is a modern version of the movie “Grease”, but in New York City. “I decided on this musical because the second Grease movie was horrible.” Skelley said.

Ninth graders Abi Hoover and Madison Runk create the playbill for their musical, "Unpredictable".  Hoover and Runk centered their musical around the band, 5 Seconds of Summer.
Ninth graders Abi Hoover and Madison Runk create the playbill for their musical, “Unpredictable”. Hoover and Runk centered their musical around the band, 5 Seconds of Summer.
Ninth graders Betsy Burns and Miranda Wertz work on their musical, “Web Works.” “Our musical is about a girl who meets a boy on the internet, and they begin to like each other. They face complications, though.” Wertz said.