Students ROAR, teachers dance

During a PBS assembly, eighth grade teacher Jessica Gouse balances Oreos as part of the games.
Principal Lori Mangan dances to Gangman Style at the PBS assembly. Photo by Tyler McCloskey

“I can’t hear your ROAR!”

English teacher Jonathan Klingeman said when he hosted the PBS kick off assemblies on Sept. 21.

ROAR stands for respect, ownership, actions and relationships.

“It brings goodness to the school,” Cheerleader Danessa Bianconi said.

Lion Loot are little pieces of paper that people sign and you can buy things with it.

[People can]  “Buy lots of cool different school supplies and candy and activities, we are always looking for more items too,” Klingeman said.
“If teachers gave Lion Loot out more that would be cool,”  Bianconi said. “They handled it pretty well. ROAR keeps the school organized and under control,” Bianconi added.

At the assemblies, teachers acted out skits depicting how students should and should not act.

“The PBS committee asked me to host the assembly  three years ago, now it’s a yearly thing for me now,”  Klingeman said.

[ROAR]  “Was a project that IUP University asked us to start in our school. The school is ready for PBS and the data we collected shows it,”  Klingeman said.

“Organizing the flash mob and doing the video was the most fun for me,”  Klingeman added.

The teachers made the video to show the kids examples of ROAR. Of course, this takes time to plan out.

“We have worked on it since the first day of school and all the inservices. The seventh graders were the most excited because it’s their first year with the program and that’s why we showed them something a little different,” Klingeman said.

“The assembly was fun, and got kids pumped up,” seventh grader Dayton Grassmyer said.

One thing is for sure, ROAR is just getting started.

Eighth grade teacher Jessica Gouse balances Oreos as part of the games played at the PBS assembly. Photo by Tyler McCloskey