Ski, snowboard club finally hits slopes

This is people skiing down the end of the Stembogan bowl.  Photo courtesy of randomduck
This is people skiing down the end of the Stembogan bowl. Photo courtesy of randomduck

On Jan. 9 the ski and snowboard club finally went up to Blue Knob after a long wait.

This year for Ski Club, there was not as large of a turnout as the past years.  In recent years the Ski Club would usually take two buses up to Blue Knob.  This year they only took one bus up the mountain.

“The first trip up to Blue Knob this year was very cold and icy,” ninth grader Alec McDermitt said.

The weather at Blue Knob was not very great with a lot of ice patches making it even more difficult for a lot of the first time skiers and snowboarders.

McDermitt and his friends rode down the slopes Mambo and Stembogen the most because they were the least icy and some of their favorite slopes to go down whenever they go to Blue Knob when they are not with the Ski Club.

“My favorite things about Ski Club is the freedom you have to go down whatever slope you want and you can be with all

of your friends,”  McDermitt said.

McDermitt also said that some of his other favorite things about the snowboarding in Ski Club are hitting the jumps and riding throughout the terrain park.

McDermitt actually started snowboarding at Blue Knob when his family went up to the mountain when he was in fifth grade.  After his first time snowboarding he said he wanted to go every weekend in the winter since that day.

On Tuesday Jan. 15 the Ski Club cancelled its trip up to Blue Knob.  They did this because of the weather warming up and the small amount of snow on the ground.  The trip will be made up on Feb. 6.